Thread: Shimano Hone

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Shimano Hone

I'm going to buy new brakes for my FS bike. The choice is between Hope M4/mini (180 F/ 160 R), Formula Oro k18 (k24 is actually too expensive), Avid Juicy 7 (but I have squeaking - I hav BB7) and Shimano Hone (the main problem is that I've got 6-hole hubs).

I've heard Shimano LX/Hone brakes are stronger than the XT ones and obviously they are cheaper. Are they worth it?

Meh.
    You can use 6 bolt rotors with the Shimano brakes. The Hones are not more powerful than the XT. The Hones are a bolted 2 piece caliper rather than a one piece caliper (XT). This means that the caliper is not as stiff, consequently the performance takes a hit. However, though the J7 is a 2 piece caliper, it is still quite stiff, and the braking power and modulation is terrific.

All disc brakes will squeak from time to time. If it is constantly squealing, you have some other issue. Contamination, improper setup, etc.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Will nailed it on this one.... the Hone are the same caliper as the LX, just as the XT and Saint are the same one.... I own both a set of LX and XTs and with same size rotors I don't feel that much difference in power (a bit but not that big).. the XTs are lighter though..

Squaling happens sometimes... Shimanos squeal little...but still they do sometimes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Best looking are the Hopes, best reviewed are the Formulas, Juicies have great power but they either gobble or plink, best buy are the Shimanos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghed
    .....I've heard Shimano LX/Hone brakes are stronger than the XT ones and obviously they are cheaper. Are they worth it?
    No experience with the Lx/Hone brake but have buds with pre '07 xt/xtr setup and i am very impressed with the power and modulation they deliver. If you look at the '07 torque tests both xtr and lx out powered the k24s.

I personally use Hope brakes but if a shop carries disc brake spare parts 99.99% of the time Shimano will be one of the brands. As a result I have a Shimano banjo and hose on the front. Using a shimano emergency cotter pin as a pad retainer on the rear for a pin lost in Sedona and will probably use Shimano m755 xt pads in my m4 front when the time arrives. If you do much travelling Shimano is THE brake system to have.

Meh.
    Hayes parts are even more common than Shimano parts. But the only Hayes brake that I would run are the Mags. The Nines and El Caminos are rather problematic. The Nines also have a very on/off feel. The ECs have small fluid capacity and fade significantly/quickly.

The comment about the Jucies is... partly true. The majority of the problems can be remedied by proper setup and break-in.

MTBR Demi-God
    I own a set of Shimano LX (essentially identical to Hone), along with XT and Magura Marta SLs. Personally, the most visible difference among them is the weight. Shimano LX -as Will pointed out- is a two peice caliper, which causes a little bit of the power to be delegated to overcome the flex. But this is not as bad as it sounds.

If you have the money and are a weight weenie, then go for XT or J7. If you are on a budget and dont really care much about weight, the LX/Hone will keep you very happy. In most riding conditions, they will easily match the braking power of XTs.

I like Shimano/Maguras because they use Mineral Oil- which is a pretty inert substance, as opposed to the DOT fluid used in Hope, Hayes, and Avid--- nothing bad with them.... just makes working with them harder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That sounds good. I knew Hone is 2piece caliper - Some time ago there was also Hope m4 that wasn't mono and it has better notes than the present one.

Has anyone tried all of the brakes: M4, Hone/LX, k18?

Meh.
    IMO, the original silver bolted M4 is better than the Mono M4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the final showdown: Shimano Saint 6" vs. Avid Juicy Seven 6". Post your opinions.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I'd take the Saint (same as XT)... I have a set and they rock... I run 203mm front and 180mm rear...great power and modulation...