mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Shimano disc brake pads.

I was installing my new XTR calipers yesterday and I found 2 sets of brake pads included(thanks Shimano) one says resin and the other set says Ti metallic. So what's the intended use for each?
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    both are Ti backed. the metal that the pad compound is attached to is Ti.
    the resin pad offer more modulation and a quieter ride. they will wear slightly faster in wet weather though. metal pads offer more stopping power but can be noisier. I run one of each in each caliper and get the best of both worlds. great stopping power with great modulation. that laso leaves me with a set of each compounds incase I want to change it up for some reason.

singletrack bound
    I have tried going with the all metallic pads and had some squealing problems so as recomended by my son in law ( who worked for Santa Cruz for eight years) said to set em up with the resin pad on the inside piston closest to the bike, and the metallic on the outside piston, front and rear. I have set up my Superlight and my SS Chameleon that way and have no issues what so ever! They stop sweet! I have the XTR calipers combined with the deore brake levers so they are not intergrated brake lever shifter combo. Then you have an extra set of pads for future use too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cool! That's what I'll do too.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.