mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Shimano Deore XT brakes - leaking caliper seals

Is it possible to replace just the seals on this M775 caliper, or do I have to replace the whole thing?

John

g3h6o3
    Don't take my word but I think I remember that new piston seals aren't available from Shimano.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Caliper replacement, good news is you can use a cheaper caliper if you want. I use an older lx caliper on my rear and it works as well as my full XT on the front.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

no seals

No Seals for shimano brakes, it leaks, get a new one, BS if you ask me. How did you develope a leak? I did it riding in the cold, a no no, I am told. Curious how many folks have had this issue.

RIP Friendgirl

Speaking of Seals

Can new seals/rebuild kits be found for older Shimano levers (BL-555,556,755,756)?
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    No Seals for shimano brakes, it leaks, get a new one, BS if you ask me. How did you develope a leak? I did it riding in the cold, a no no, I am told. Curious how many folks have had this issue.
    I really don't know how I developed a leak. In fact It wasn't convinced that I really had a leak as I couldn't see any obvious problem. I just found that I had very poor performance and lots of noise.

I had replaced the pads a couple of times. Each time they would be a bit better for a while before they deteriorated again. I eventually consulted this forum and the general opinion was that I had a leak and that my pads were getting contaminated.

This all made sense, but the thing that didn't make sense was that I couldn't see a leak and that I didn't seem to be losing hydraulic pressure,

mtbr member
    some people told me in japan you can find all of shimano parts but got new caliper is the best way