mtbr member

Shimano Deore rotor tightening plates?

I bought a RM Element near the end of last season equipped with Shimano M-525 disk brakes that use tightening plates. What is the purpose of these plates? The only purpose that I can think of is to prevent the bolts from loosening and would not blue locktite serve the same?

Basically I want to replace the Shimano SM-RT60 rotors with some Hayes that I have lying around for no other reason than aesthetics and was wondering if I really need to use these plates.
    Last edited by splat; 04-11-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by splat
    I bought a RM Element near the end of last season equipped with Shimano M-525 disk brakes along with three rotor tightening plates. What is the purpose of these plates? The only purpose that I can think of is to prevent the bolts from loosening and would not blue locktite serve the same?

Basically I want to replace the Shimano SM-RT60 rotors with some Hayes that I have lying around for no other reason than aesthetics and was wondering if I really need to use these plates.
    I'm pretty sure that's all they are for. The instructions call for the plates to be bent up around the head of the bolts, and I believe this is supposed to "lock" them in place. I would guess that blue loctite should do the trick.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

New Loctite Dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I would guess that blue loctite should do the trick.

Clyde
    Speaking of Loctite.......... Have you tried the new blue Loctite that comes in a "Chapstick-like" dispenser? I just used it on my rotor bolts and while it is more expensive it's cleaner and easier to use and probably won't dry out as fast. Good luck. - Dave
    Last edited by dnpeters; 04-11-2005 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Spelling error

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Stop Ring

I was wondering the same thing about my Specialized FST 120 that come with XT brake.
    Also, is anyone really think the "Stop Ring" that goes on the bolt attaching the caliper to the frame is useless. I'm thinking of removing it, and putting some blue locktite instead.
    Last edited by Yanick; 04-13-2005 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    The stop rings, wire, etc. are all safety items supplied by Shimano to lessen the probability of lawsuits. IMHO blue loctite is simpler and better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanick
    I was wondering the same thing about my Specialized FST 120 that come with XT brake.
    Also, is anyone really think the "Stop Ring" that goes on the bolt attaching the caliper to the frame is useless. I'm thinking of removing it, and putting some blue locktite instead.