mtbr member

Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc Vibration Issues

Helping out a friend with his Iron Horse 5.0 with SHIMANO DEORE HYDRAULIC DISC brakes. The front seem to be just fine but the rear really squeal and cause a really bad vibration that you can feel in the saddle. I checked everything over and made sure the disc was tight on the hub. Also pulled the pads out which were pretty dirty. Hit them with some emery cloth to clean them up and re-installed. That seemed to work until I decided to clean his chain and after I gave the bike a light rinsing the noise and vibration came back. I'm thinking maybe he's gotten something on the pads that may have contaminated them?? The bikes pretty new only ridden about 6 times. Any thoughts?? They are fine if you use them lightly but if you grab a handful they are as load as can be and the vibration is horrible.

mtbr member
    Might be some loose bolts on the calipers. After tightening and cleaning everything the next obvious step would be to put in some new pads and a new rotor. The rotor could be warped. If that doesnt work you have some extra parts. For only $49 I noticed JensonUsa has a complete Tektro Hydraulic OE setup that is complete with rotor. That might be a cheap fix in case the problem is in the caliper with a sticky piston.

The other solution I think is just to ride around for awhile. Who hasnt had noisy brakes on the trail? Sometimes they just take awhile to break in.