mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Shimano Deore Disc brakes, M-465.

So this bike that I bought "new" off ebay came with these brakes. The back brake is pretty strong but the front has no power whatsoever, my vee brakes are stronger than these, by far. Mabye the front pads are worn, because I see some rubbing off on the front disc ( black stuff, minimally ). It was probably a lbs bike that was demod or something.

My options are probably to move the front brake pads to the rear and swap em, or buy new brake pads for the front.

Anyone own a pair of these discs and know common issues? I looked at mtbr reviews, half gave good reviews the other half gave crap reviews.

ballbuster

Re-bed them

Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    So this bike that I bought "new" off ebay came with these brakes. The back brake is pretty strong but the front has no power whatsoever, my vee brakes are stronger than these, by far. Mabye the front pads are worn, because I see some rubbing off on the front disc ( black stuff, minimally ). It was probably a lbs bike that was demod or something.

My options are probably to move the front brake pads to the rear and swap em, or buy new brake pads for the front.

Anyone own a pair of these discs and know common issues? I looked at mtbr reviews, half gave good reviews the other half gave crap reviews.
    try cleaning the pads and rotors with alcohol and sand them down a tad with medium sandpaper. scratch up the braking surface a tad too. Do a few hard stops and it they'll grab pretty well. Be sure not to mix up the inside and outside pads.

check out the FAQs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hmm, so if the pads are too new, mabye it needs to get worn in is that what you are saying?

PS. I'm not sure if mine has two sides of adjusting the pads.

The right side has a adjusting thing for the allen key, but the left side seems like it uses the TORX..

Seems cumbersome why the heck shimano would make two sides two different formats.

EDIT: Btw, I know the pads are not worn b/c the manual online says to replace the pads when they are less than .5 mm thick, right now they are about .5CM thick.
    Last edited by taikuodo; 02-11-2007 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The M465 are mechanical not hydraulic

Most likely they have not be setup correctly. You can get the instructions from Shimano's website, then take your time and make sure that the brakes were installed correctly.
    I bike; therefore, I work