mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Shimano Deore 4 Piston Brakes

Ibis is listing Deore 4 piston brakes on their Ripmo GX build. Any idea when these will be available for retail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    sure they aren't just failing to list them properly as 'deore XT 4 piston'? I'd be pretty pissed to get Deore level anything on a $5100 bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    And as far as 4 piston Deore XT (m8020):

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...020-Disc-Brake

Been running them myself for a bit now and love the shit out of them =)

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    There is a new Deore 4 piston brake set, BR-MT520 + BL-MT501

https://www.bike24.com/p2271033.html

http://off.road.cc/content/news/shim...520-brake-2702

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDogVT View Post
    Ibis is listing Deore 4 piston brakes on their Ripmo GX build. Any idea when these will be available for retail?
    Already available, a bit under $100 a set.
    https://blueskycycling.com/products/...501-disc-brake

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Already available, a bit under $100 a set.
    https://blueskycycling.com/products/...501-disc-brake
    That's ummm...$100 per side.
    Last edited by noapathy; 07-27-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Coffee Drinker
    Last edited by Taildragger; 07-27-2018 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    My bad - caliper shape fooled me. Still, at $180 for a pair Zee isn't much more. Wonder what price they'll be when they're more widely available? I only see them at bluesky...wonder if that's really in stock?

Looks like they use the BH90 hose, so most of the recent Shimano levers would be compatible but the hose connects with what looks like the Deore style setup at the caliper. Interesting possibilities.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I've been looking for a set of ZEE brakes but can't find them for much less then M8020s which look like ZEEs with toolless adjustable reach. Anyone know a good source at a good price $240 +-?

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    I've been looking for a set of ZEE brakes but can't find them for much less then M8020s which look like ZEEs with toolless adjustable reach. Anyone know a good source at a good price $240 +-?
    Check here: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ry_country=191

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    I was hopeing for a US distrubutor.

Thanks!!

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    I was hopeing for a US distrubutor.

Thanks!!
    I thought so, just wanted to give you an option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I guess it looks like Shimano is going for the BR-MT520 + BL-MT501 and the M8020 brake sets for 4 piston implementations. That's probably smart business and a decent product tier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Jensen is getting more ZEEs in this week.

mtbr member
    I think this is the MT-501 that are coming spec'd on new 2019 Stumpjumpers, but Shimano's numbering is always confusing, especially for different markets.

Per this article - https://www.facebook.com/notes/bird-...2367234948828/

Deconstruction of the name helps allude to this new super-brakeís heritage. Its a 500 series product, which makes it just a bit below Deore (6-series) but actually not really as 5 & 6 series components are generally Deore level just with different slants on the OE vs aftermarket target for the product, and the BR-M520 tells us in Shimanoís new 4 pot parlance that this is a 4 piston caliper. In essence, its a non-series (ĎShimanoí branded rather than ĎDeoreí) Deore lever with a new 4 piston caliper at the other end.
    Its target is the e-Bike market, hence, I guess, the use of a non-series moniker. It means that this brake fits nicely with Alfine, Steps, Deore... whichever Shimano brand you want to chose its going to work, but you can bet your life on it appearing all over everyoneís mid range enduro and trail bikes in 2019.
    Sounds like Shimano is attempting to rebrand their lower spec brakes generically, almost private label-esque for the manufacturers. Regardless, seems like they are a proper brake, despite being a budget category.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    I think this is the MT-501 that are coming spec'd on new 2019 Stumpjumpers, but Shimano's numbering is always confusing, especially for different markets.
    Where are these '19 stumpys with 4 pot shimano brakes? Every model I see is either SLX (comp carbon/alloy), or Sram Guides (just about all of the rest.) Didn't check the s-works or mega-overpriced variants, but I would definitely not anticipate finding Deore on those either.

Edit: found 501's on the ST comp alloy model. Website pics are pretty clearly 2-pot brake calipers though.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239758-159205

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Where are these '19 stumpys with 4 pot shimano brakes? Every model I see is either SLX (comp carbon/alloy), or Sram Guides (just about all of the rest.) Didn't check the s-works or mega-overpriced variants, but I would definitely not anticipate finding Deore on those either.

Edit: found 501's on the ST comp alloy model. Website pics are pretty clearly 2-pot brake calipers though.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239758-159205

So are MT-501's just Deore BR-M6000 brakes with a different nomenclature?

Rollin 29s
    Bringing this back to life. I'm having my LBS swap out a seat post before I pick up my new Ripmo (GX build), and I am a bit surprised that it is spec'd with Deore (not XT) 4-piston brakes. Ibis did this to shave costs on non Shimano builds because they aren't getting the groupo discount. Brakes are the only Shimano part on the bike.

Have people had the variable bite problems with the Deore 4-pistons? I could have the shop swap brakes before I pick up the bike, and I would get the dealer cost back toward the new brake purchase, and 10% off new brakes which they offer when you buy a bike.

Deore has stainless rather than ceramic pistons of the XT, and the reach adjustment requires a tool vs on the fly with a knob on XT. I think once I set the reach, I wouldn't mess with it again, but the ceramic pistons will transfer less heat into the fluid.

Deore 4-pistons may be fine brakes, and it may not be worth the swap. Still can't help but to think it's a mismatch lower level component based on the rest of the bike.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Deore has stainless rather than ceramic pistons of the XT, and the reach adjustment requires a tool vs on the fly with a knob on XT. I think once I set the reach, I wouldn't mess with it again, but the ceramic pistons will transfer less heat into the fluid.
    They don't have stainless steel pistons, they have ceramic pistons like the SLX/XT/XTR.

BR-MT520 Specs: http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spe...0disc%20brake)

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    They don't have stainless steel pistons, they have ceramic pistons like the SLX/XT/XTR.

BR-MT520 Specs: 2018-2019 SHIMANO Product Information Web
    That spec sheet shows the Deore has resin pistons, not ceramic.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    That spec sheet shows the Deore has resin pistons, not ceramic.
    The Deore brake with resin pistons that you're looking at only has 2 pistons.

The BR-MT520 is the 4 piston 'Deore' which they list as having ceramic pistons.

Shimano don't list this 4 piston brake as 'Deore' but that's what it's being called.

http://off.road.cc/content/news/shim...520-brake-2702

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bird-...2367234948828/

* Shimano says they do have ceramic pistons, the second article says they don't have ceramic pistons but the pistons look to be the same as the ones in the photo of the XT 8020 brake that's next to it.

Rollin 29s
    Thanks for clarifying. theres not much information about these yet, and it seems that most of the variable bite position issues are happening on XT and Saint models.

Weight differences between these and XT/ XTR are pretty insignificant, and the few online reviewers seemed to like them - some even better than XT.
    I donít really have anything to justify swapping these for a Ďhigherí Shimano designation or another brand, so Iíll probably ride them. As they are priced to be mass market 4-piston brakes, and even targeting the E-Bike segment, Shimano is going to want them to be solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I bought a HD4 a couple months ago right as Ibis started spec'ing the GX builds with the BR-MT520 brakes. I was planning on upgrading to XT but my LBS talked me into staying with the new 4 pistons. I was coming off a bike with Guide R brakes which were mediocre at best so braking performance on my HD4 was a priority. After a few months of riding, I can honestly say that I am happy with their performance. Much better than my Guides.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I bought a HD4 a couple months ago right as Ibis started spec'ing the GX builds with the BR-MT520 brakes. I was planning on upgrading to XT but my LBS talked me into staying with the new 4 pistons. I was coming off a bike with Guide R brakes which were mediocre at best so braking performance on my HD4 was a priority. After a few months of riding, I can honestly say that I am happy with their performance. Much better than my Guides.
    That's good to hear. have you had to re-adjust the reach once initially setup? Not having the XT on the fly reach adjustment knob seems like a potential pain. On my Elixir CRs, I've used the manual reach adjustment knob dozens of times over the years on the trail when I've wanted more or less reach or to change engagement position to reduce fatigue on long descents. Having to pull out a multi-tool, or carry a small torx wrench to do this sounds like a hassle. Maybe not worth the cost to upgrade or buy something else, but it's a consideration.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    That's good to hear. have you had to re-adjust the reach once initially setup? Not having the XT on the fly reach adjustment knob seems like a potential pain. On my Elixir CRs, I've used the manual reach adjustment knob dozens of times over the years on the trail when I've wanted more or less reach or to change engagement position to reduce fatigue on long descents. Having to pull out a multi-tool, or carry a small torx wrench to do this sounds like a hassle. Maybe not worth the cost to upgrade or buy something else, but it's a consideration.
    That is my only real complain with them is I wish I could adjust the bite point like you can on the XTs. The way the shop had it set up, the levers were hitting my middle fingers right around the same time they would start to bite. I ended moving them in on the bars further and it has been fine. If you use 2 fingers to brake it may be an issue. I have done some pretty long high speed descents and I have never felt like I needed to adjust the bite point. I have fairly large hands so the reach has never been an issue for me.

Rollin 29s
    That is my only real complain with them is I wish I could adjust the bite point like you can on the XTs. The way the shop had it set up, the levers were hitting my middle fingers right around the same time they would start to bite. I ended moving them in on the bars further and it has been fine. If you use 2 fingers to brake it may be an issue. I have done some pretty long high speed descents and I have never felt like I needed to adjust the bite point. I have fairly large hands so the reach has never been an issue for me.
    Do they only have a bite point adjustment? You say you physically moved the brake levers further in on the bars rather than adjusting the reach further out, which sounds like there is no reach adjustment. That would be a definite deal breaker for me. When I test rode the Ripmo yesterday, the levers came way too far in (pressing into my fingers on hard braking - and I use 2 fingers). I didnít think much of it because I saw the adjustment screw, which I thought was reach. The Elixirs have reach and bite. You have nearly infinite adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Do they only have a bite point adjustment? You say you physically moved the brake levers further in on the bars rather than adjusting the reach further out, which sounds like there is no reach adjustment. That would be a definite deal breaker for me. When I test rode the Ripmo yesterday, the levers came way too far in (pressing into my fingers on hard braking - and I use 2 fingers). I didnít think much of it because I saw the adjustment screw, which I thought was reach. The Elixirs have reach and bite. You have nearly infinite adjustment.
    No they only have reach adjustment. They need the bite point adjustment to make them bite prior to the levers hitting my fingers. Reach only adjusts how close the lever sits to to the bite point which has no effect on where the lever is in when it starts to bite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The calipers are nearly identical to 4 piston XT calipers minus the cooling fins and ceramic pistons. If you want the tooless adjustments, just get XT levers.

Rollin 29s
    The calipers are nearly identical to 4 piston XT calipers minus the cooling fins and ceramic pistons. If you want the tooless adjustments, just get XT levers.
    I called my shop about the BR-MT520 and told them about my concern about lever positioning, reach and bite.

The mechanic I talked to said that the lever positioning could be tweaked via a combination of making sure they are completely bled and adjustment of the screw to make the bite happen further out on the lever position. He said these Deore levers had identical adjustability to the XT, and the only difference is the requirement to use a tool rather than the manual knob.

Iím not sure if this is correct or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I called my shop about the BR-MT520 and told them about my concern about lever positioning, reach and bite.

The mechanic I talked to said that the lever positioning could be tweaked via a combination of making sure they are completely bled and adjustment of the screw to make the bite happen further out on the lever position. He said these Deore levers had identical adjustability to the XT, and the only difference is the requirement to use a tool rather than the manual knob.

Iím not sure if this is correct or not.
    Hmmmm Maybe I will have mine bled again and see if it helps. I need to call my shop this afternoon so I will see what they say about bite point adjustment outside of just bleeding.

Rollin 29s
    So far so good with these brakes. The shop adjusted the levers and bite point out about 1.5 - 1.75Ē from the bars where I wanted them, and aside from squealing when the pads heat up on the two cold morning rides Iíve done, they modulate well and have about double the stopping power that my Avid Elixir CRs do.

Iím hoping the squeal is break in, and will go away soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So far so good with these brakes. The shop adjusted the levers and bite point out about 1.5 - 1.75Ē from the bars where I wanted them, and aside from squealing when the pads heat up on the two cold morning rides Iíve done, they modulate well and have about double the stopping power that my Avid Elixir CRs do.

Iím hoping the squeal is break in, and will go away soon.

Nice! I am pretty sure I need to have mine bled to get them to bit sooner.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    The calipers are nearly identical to 4 piston XT calipers minus the......ceramic pistons.
    Are you sure about that?

Last edited by cobba; 1 Week Ago at 09:28 PM.

Rollin 29s
    Are you sure about that?
    Those are ceramic

- Lord Charles Beresford

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Those are ceramic
    Just like the XT's

Shimano Deore 4 Piston Brakes-520.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Iím tired of the variable bite point on my 2 pot XTís: do the 4 pot XT and Deore have this issue too?
    The difference in price I can get them is no too big, so Iíd rather go with XT as they look nicer, but only if they donít have the pumping issues.
    Iím 75 kg so donít need loads of stopping power, but Iím looking for good modulation.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by spaniardclimber View Post
    Iím tired of the variable bite point on my 2 pot XTís: do the 4 pot XT and Deore have this issue too?
    The difference in price I can get them is no too big, so Iíd rather go with XT as they look nicer, but only if they donít have the pumping issues.
    Iím 75 kg so donít need loads of stopping power, but Iím looking for good modulation.
    After this weekend at Downieville as my first test of the Deore, They performed flawlessly. Great modulation and bite was consistent.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Are you sure about that?

Nope! lol