Mountain Warrior

New question here. Shimano compatability questions

I have recently bought a used set of Shimano M525 hydraulic brakes, but they haven't arrived yet. I have also bought some Shimano M555 disc hubs, both front and rear. My question is this: can I use other rotors on the Shimano brakes? I have heard no, maybe and yes, so I am confused. Another question: is there any serious problem with running different brake system front and rear? (Say, shimano up front and hayes in the rear for example)

Thanks

rob
    slakDawg

I'm no expert but...

...I also have the 525 on my Dawg. I use Aztec and Diatec replacement rotors and prefer them over the stock Shimanos. As long as the rotor is 160 mm then you should be fine with the stock setup of the 525s. As far as rotor to hub, then they would need to be compatible, ISO standard now a days is 6 bolt. So you should have no problems using the 555 hubs with the 525 brakes. Front to rear have no relation, so mix it up. I have friends running disc up front with V-brake rear.

Also, with regards to replacement brake pads, the 515 mechanical pads will also work with the 525 hydralics.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sanmusa
    I have recently bought a used set of Shimano M525 hydraulic brakes, but they haven't arrived yet. I have also bought some Shimano M555 disc hubs, both front and rear. My question is this: can I use other rotors on the Shimano brakes? I have heard no, maybe and yes, so I am confused.
    Yes, you can use other rotors. For best performance, make sure the thickness of the rotor you plan to use is as close to the S himano as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sanmusa
    Another question: is there any serious problem with running different brake system front and rear? (Say, shimano up front and hayes in the rear for example)
    Sure, you can do this. But you need to use the lever that goes with the caliper. So in your S himano front / H ayes rear scenario, you'd have a S himano lever for the front and a H ayes lever for the rear. That would feel odd to me. You'll alsohave to have mineral oil to bleed the S himano and DOT 3/4 for the H ayes.