mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Shimano Center Lock and ISO 6 bolt brake rotors

I have a 2008 c'dale F7 that has the low end Shimano mechanical brakes (415, i believe) with the splined center lock disc rotors. I just bought a new wheelset that uses the ISO 6-bolt pattern. I asked a few of my LBS if there are any spacing issues with my caliper between the two styles, and they all said no. After putting on the front wheel, I can't seem to get the calipers adjusted correctly in the front. The rotor is pressed up next to the non-moving brake pad and I cannot adjust the "pad in" enough to give it any kind of space. Is there something inherently wrong with what I'm trying to do? Are there spacers that I can buy to place on the calipers to give it an extra mm or two?

I did swap out the front fork, but the disc brake mounting position seems to be the exact same.

Quote Originally Posted by roaringpanda
    I have a 2008 c'dale F7 that has the low end Shimano mechanical brakes (415, i believe) with the splined center lock disc rotors. I just bought a new wheelset that uses the ISO 6-bolt pattern. I asked a few of my LBS if there are any spacing issues with my caliper between the two styles, and they all said no. After putting on the front wheel, I can't seem to get the calipers adjusted correctly in the front. The rotor is pressed up next to the non-moving brake pad and I cannot adjust the "pad in" enough to give it any kind of space. Is there something inherently wrong with what I'm trying to do? Are there spacers that I can buy to place on the calipers to give it an extra mm or two?

I did swap out the front fork, but the disc brake mounting position seems to be the exact same.
    There's inherently some variance among manufacturers with even the same standards, no big deal. If your calipers don't have enough adjustment without spacers, get some (aka washers), or space your rotors out...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ok, I feel foolish. I didn't realize the caliper fixing bolts had some play to it. It was adjusted all the way to one side. After readjusting the caliper and retorquing the bolts, everything is gravy.

Thanks for the reply, though!

Actually some don't have any room for adjustment, good thing yours do!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just confirm Bikinfoolferlife's comment, I have 2 rear wheels with XT hubs, one with 6-bolt pattern (m756) and another with a center lock (m765). Yes, the spacing can be slightly off even with the same hub manufactures. Not a big deal, when I swap out these wheels (what, once a year?), I just loosen the caliper and adjust it slightly.

Funny thing is, I found out that Stout front hub (Specialized house brand) I have with 6-bolt pattern is perfectly compatible to the center lock hub I have. I can swap out wheels and never having to adjust the caliper. So this is an example where a totally different manufacturer (by chance I'm sure) making hubs with exact spacings with another manufacturer. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thats just lucky