mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Shimano Caliper Mount Adapters

Is it just me, or does Shimano just want you to buy a bunch of caliper adapters that you don't need, from them? They make it next to near impossible to find out what you need for your bike.

I'm trying to spec out a build on a Pivot Mach 5, and have a few questions that maybe you all that have dealt with this, could answer.

I plan on using 2009 Shimano BR-M775 calipers.

The fork is a 2009 Fox Float 140 RLC, which from Fox's web site, says will be a post mount.

I am going to use a 180mm rotor up front, which I believe, will require the SM-MA-F180P/P adapter, correct?

Secondly, for the life of me, I cannot tell if the caliper comes with the part labeled number "14" in the illustration, which I believe, allows the caliper to be mounted to the rear IS frame mount. If not, what is the part number of that adapter? The rear will be a standard 160mm rotor.

On another note, what is the advantage to buying the pre-bled kit? If the hoses still need to be trimmed, doesn't that defeat the purpose, or am I not understanding what a pre-bled kit is for?

Thanks in advance!

ups and downs
    This website explains the adapters well.

If you're buying XT M-775 calipers then they are sold without adapters unless your source indicates they are included. Some sources might package them as a kit, but only if they say they are including the rear IS adapter.

Filled and pre-bled saves time, you can shorten the hoses without bleeding if you're careful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Rocky. I think there are some typos in the part numbers on that Universal Cycles...but after looking at Chain Reaction's site, I think I got it figured out.

Looks like I would need the SM-MA-F180P/P up front.
    And the SM-MA-R160P/S in the rear.

I guess it all depends on where you order it from...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am configuring a similar set-up. Does the M775 Caliper include the rear Post to IS adapter? It shows this adapter as part of the item in all the product pictures.
    I am buying from either Chain Reaction or Wiggle.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    As rocky pointed out, CRC are one of the places that include adapters in the kit if needed. So, if you are buying from them then you choose what adapter you need when ordering the rear brake