mtbr member

Which Shimano brakes for me

I am yet another unsatisfied Avid brake owner. I have a 2011 Trek Hifi Deluxe with Elixir 5s front and rear. 185 front and 160 rear. after a couple of rides the brakes started to squeal loudly. Replaced pads with Koolstop organic. All was well until... I did a little DH riding and was hard on the brakes. Now I have constant Turkey Gobble. Cleaned pads and rotors, re-aligned, re-seated and still have turkey gobble. My wife has the exact same setup but experiences no problems. I am 225 and she is 130. Maybe the elixirs just cannot handle the weight.

Called Avid and they said I had to speak with LBS.

So now I am ready to ditch the practically brand new Elixirs in favor of Shimanos. Which would work best for me? SLX, XT, XTR? Price is not an issue but do not need to spend hundreds extra to save 2g. I ride mostly XC. Also, should I keep my rotors or replace? Do I need any adapters/spacers?

Not interested in using LBS as I prefer to do my own work so I will know how to fix when it fails on the trail.

Thanks,
    Tim

mtbr member
    Just went thru the same issue with the same brakes. I opted for the SLX. Different levers (same shape and size) and no bite adjustment. Pretty much the same as XT after that. If you are buying off of eBay, watch what pads they come with. Some of the "cheaper" take off's do not come with the metal "finned" pads.

I got mine from a LBS and they do have the finned pads. I opted to try the Avid rotors and see what happens. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have both the SLX M666 and XT M785 Ice Tech brakes paired with XT Ice Tech rotors and they are a huge improvement over my old Avids. I honestly can't tell the difference between the SLX and XT's though so I would recommend the cost savings of the SLX's. There are some good deals on either at BlueSky. They were cheaper than any of the EBAY retailers I found. I'm not 100% positive but I don't think you'll need any new adapters, etc if you don't change rotor size.

Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Disc Brakes, Hayes Disc Brakes, Bicycle Disc Brakes
    Last edited by CLMcLovin; 09-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine bolted right up. No adapters needed. The coned washers are for Avids and not used with the SLX brakes. That was my case anyway.

mtbr member
    I too vote SLX. I cant feel a difference between them and the XT. Both are outstanding.

mtbr member
    Recieved and installed my new XT ordered from eBay. First hydro, been using Avid bb7, I tested both slx and xt. And I couldn't tell the difference either, i think the only difference is the lever. I chose XT because the deal at eBay is a lot cheaper compared to the XT set at Bluesky. Purchased shipped for $239, I just saw another one for $211 shipped. Can't beat that price for XT's.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I ordered some XTRM988s via Amazon today for about $215 each.

I am sure the SLX or XT would have worked fine but I can be a bit of a gadget geek so the extra features are a plus.

GAME ON!
    they are all the damn same. xtr has ti hardware and 1 more adjustment that does nothing. if it was $50 - $100 more, maybe i could justify it, but not double.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by treilley View Post
    Thanks everyone. I ordered some XTRM988s via Amazon today for about $215 each.

I am sure the SLX or XT would have worked fine but I can be a bit of a gadget geek so the extra features are a plus.
    Great choice, and everyone on this site is to some extent. "Cheap" in bike terms is a relative thing. Brakes on my car are cheaper then my "cheap" SLX brakes. Carbon frame, carbon rims, yes, we all fall victim to the gadget bug.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    they are all the damn same. xtr has ti hardware and 1 more adjustment that does nothing. if it was $50 - $100 more, maybe i could justify it, but not double.
    Ok, so just thank me for pouring more dough into the economy.

GAME ON!
    it's not my economy
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone know if the M595 lever can be used with the M810 calipers?

mtbr member
    First ride with the XTR brakes today. Awesome stopping power, no more turkey gobble.

I had to buy a spacer from the LBS. When I told them I am swapping the avids for shimanos, they asked what took you so long.

mtbr member
    Are these any good? Are they the latest version of XT's?

Thanks,

Hank