mtbr member

Shimano Brakes & Degassing Mineral Oil

Is there any reason why Shimano never makes any mention of degassing mineral oil prior to using it in a brake bleed? I've been bleeding brakes for a while now, and I found it interesting that Avid makes a big deal out of degassing DOT fluid before introducing it into the brake system, while Shimano doesn't even mention it.

I recently took a red hose-clamp off one off an old Avid bleed kit and installed it on the syringe hose that i use for bleeding Shimano brakes, and thus I can degas the mineral oil in a similar fashion.

I can't tell how big of a difference it makes, but there is definitely air dissolved in there, so I just found it odd that Shimano doesn't have it as a step in their brake bleeding procedure.

How much does it weigh?
    I believe Mineral Oil doesn't hold air like DOT fluid does.

The air in DOT fluid can also have moisture in it, which reduces the boiling point.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Because Avid seem to complicate a very uncomplicated procedure Nobody degasses car/motorcycle fluid which is exactly the same

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo View Post
    Because Avid seem to complicate a very uncomplicated procedure Nobody degasses car/motorcycle fluid which is exactly the same
    Interesting, I was not aware that degassing isn't performed on other hydraulic brake systems. Like I mentioned, I can't really tell if degassing has made a difference in performance/fade resistance.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    I have both Hope and Formula and degassing isn't mentioned on either. Formula also use syringes (exactly the same as Avid ) but you just bleed them and don't faff around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo View Post
    all hydraulic fluids, oil included, benefit from degassing. ignorance is not a defense. google is your friend.