wuss

Shimano brake Q's

This is a cross post from the shimano section...

I need a new brakeset and will be getting one of the above. I'm kind of concerned with weight, but getting information on the weight of the Shimano brakes seems to be next to impossible. From just about any other brand I can easily find listings of the weight of the complete system (caliper, hoses with oil and levers). With Shimano I can occasionally find the weight of separate parts, and even they differ from one place to another.

Also, how do the XT and XTR compare in terms of modulation / power and ease of maintenance?

mtbr member
    The new XT servo wave levers are excellent. I've been using the old XT with XTR calip for 6 years. No maintenance apart from pads and bleeding 2/3 times over this whole period. The modulation and power of the newer levers is much better. I am using the old XTRcalipers, but have tested the new xt calipers and there is no difference

wuss
    Are you using the M965 calipers? I could find a real bargain on them... But I believe I would need some angled connector to use them with newer levers?

mtbr member

Wink Running the new XT ServoWaves here

I have two bikes; one with the new XTR brakes and one with the new XT SW's - both very powerful, but I do like the feel and modulation of the XT's more than the XTR's.

Interestingly enough, I am running the XT's on a DH bike; a Demo 8 with 203 rotors, braking power is awesome without just being on or off.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

wuss
    Thanks, what's the weight difference between the XT and the XTR? If I understood correctly, the LX calipers weigh about 100g more (each) then XT's, but the XT lever weighs a bit more then the XT servo-wave thing.

mtbr member

Dk

I dunno.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

wuss
    Well here is my dilemma...

I was changing some parts from my bike for lighter ones, and my new wheelset requires centerlock rotors. I had Magura Louise BAT brakes which I liked, but would have needed new rotors, which cost quite a lot. Just before ordering I found the complete LX M585 brakeset with rotors for just a bit more then the Magura rotors would have cost on their own, and ended up buying the set... After a few twists and turns I sold the Maguras and have the LX's on my bike. They are very nice for the money, but not quite as good as the Maguras. Also since this whole thing started from losing weight I'd be interested in knowing how much I could win by changing to XT / XTR. If I could lose a combined 150g it would be worth it to me.

Quite strange how hard it can be to get the weight of the brakes... If you know Shimano kills you or something?

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Weight is usually the difference in the Shimano lineup

I have had Shimano stuff apart and quite often it is only weight that separates the models from (heavier) LX to XT to XTR (lighter).

Using that premise, XTR should be lighter than XT, etc. For me, though, XTR is rarely worth the huge leap in expense as this stuff is on a mountain bike and it will get scratched, smashed, etc., sooner or later and XT is much cheaper to replace than XTR.

wuss
    Well I just found a post in the weightweenies section with links to a lot of different (mostly foreign) sites with measured weights:

XTR M975 ~250g
    XT M775 ~280g
    LX M585 ~330g

Maby I'm not weight weenie enough, but the differences seem awfully small to me... I expected a bit more.