mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Shimano brake lever blades.

After a few months I'm still struggling with the incredibly small lever blades on my M596 brakes. The performance is great but I find the feel of the small levers just not right. I guess it's a personal thing. Been thinking of changing the levers for the old SLX M665s. Possible?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have you swapped to 1-finger breaking? I agree 2-finger braking is a bit crowded on there, but I can super easily lock up my 596 brakes with 1 finger in any condition and gives me more fingers to grip my bars.

I can lock up with 1 finger ( and I have been a 2-finger brake guy for 15+ years),..... it takes a while to dial in the lever position (inset inwards towards the stem) and just the right amount of play and lever position so that I have full brake hookup, and full wheel lockup with about 1/2"-3/4" space between the grips and the levers....

But once you are dialed in, its dead-on every time.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroshima View Post
    Have you swapped to 1-finger breaking? I agree 2-finger braking is a bit crowded on there, but I can super easily lock up my 596 brakes with 1 finger in any condition and gives me more fingers to grip my bars.

I can lock up with 1 finger ( and I have been a 2-finger brake guy for 15+ years),..... it takes a while to dial in the lever position (inset inwards towards the stem) and just the right amount of play and lever position so that I have full brake hookup, and full wheel lockup with about 1/2"-3/4" space between the grips and the levers....

But once you are dialed in, its dead-on every time.
    I'll second this. I was a 2 finger braker for many, many years prior to the latest gen of Shimano levers. It took me about 2-3 rides to get used to one finger braking, but my grip on the bar, and ultimately my control of the bike were better as a result. Note that I did have to go up 1 size on the front rotor, since I can't generate as much force with only my index finger. Once that was done, all good.

-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroshima View Post

just the right amount of play and lever position so that I have full brake hookup, and full wheel lockup with about 1/2"-3/4" space between the grips and the levers....
    Positioning the levers as suggested certainly makes a different feel and one I think I can get use to. See how it goes at weekend. Thanx.