Wandering not Lost

Shimano Brake & cold weather ?'S

Hi guys and gals,

I asked this question in the Fat Bike forum, but maybe I should have asked here. I am looking at upgrading my brakes on my current Fatbike. I would prefer to go with shimano, but I have concerns about how they perform in cold weather. In the past I had a set of XTR dual control's( the last gen) that on one trip when it was 17degrees they wend south. I assume this was a function of the mineral oil changing viscosity due to the lower temps.

So my question is ... would this be the case on the newer models of shimano brakes? I understand that mineral oil has not changed but has there been come form of change in the brakes to address the cold temp issue?

I do plan on this bike seeing temps well below 0 degrees.. so I ask should I just avoid mineral oil brakes all together or have they been fixed?

Namely I would be looking at XT or XTR...

thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by BThor; 09-24-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Wandering not Lost
    Geez over 100 views and not one reply?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Some shimanos are bad , others not. My xtr 975s acted up last winter by contaminating my pads with oil. My 2001 deore 555s have been fine.

To be honest the 555s are a better brake!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Second on the Deore 525 and 555. Lots of rides at 10 deg without problems.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX M666 I used over last winter was ok. The stopping power was good enough but definitely lacking compared to warmer times. My biggest issue was that the brake lever became extremely stiff throughout its travel.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    My xts (current version) are a little sticky when its below freezing.

Wandering not Lost
    hmm ...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

I asked this question in the Fat Bike forum, but maybe I should have asked here. I am looking at upgrading my brakes on my current Fatbike. I would prefer to go with shimano, but I have concerns about how they perform in cold weather. In the past I had a set of XTR dual control's( the last gen) that on one trip when it was 17degrees they wend south. I assume this was a function of the mineral oil changing viscosity due to the lower temps.

So my question is ... would this be the case on the newer models of shimano brakes? I understand that mineral oil has not changed but has there been come form of change in the brakes to address the cold temp issue?

I do plan on this bike seeing temps well below 0 degrees.. so I ask should I just avoid mineral oil brakes all together or have they been fixed?

Namely I would be looking at XT or XTR...

thanks,
    Ben
    I ride 2006 XTR hydro brakes down to -35C...the older they get the more prone to oil leaks in the cold they are.

I have never had the oil set-up and cause the brakes to not function.

Sith snow below about 15C ice can for on rotors after braking..of course with ice on the rotor, there is no friction...

Bang the brakes on and off will shatter the very thin layer of ice of the rotor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I do think that when the temperatures go into 25 degree and below that DOT4 is a better choice.

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I do think that when the temperatures go into 25 degree and below that DOT4 is a better choice.
    This is what I am gathering.. the hard part is that 99% of the time the temps this bike will be in are no where near 25 degrees. I mean I am Dallas TeJaS for pete's sake...

But I do have aspirations for traveling to some winter racing.... and well not sure I wan to deal with braking issues on the road.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It's not really an issue per se, its just that the lever returns slowly. Braking power is the same. At least for me

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Well, I guess if the lever isn't snapping back normally then the pads might be dragging a little. But I haven't noticed that.

Rub it............
    My suggestion is to buy the brakes to fit the conditions that you are going to be riding in 90% of the time. Then deal with issues as they arise the other 10%.