mtbr member
    May 2013

Shimano Brake Caliper Adapter Installation

I'm going to mount up some new Shimano adapters this evening. Both front and rear. I'm starting with the rear first. Just getting into it, I've found that I'm already stumped as to how in the he** the little, black, plastic cap thingys are supposed to interact with the mounting bolts. The caps come loose in the packaging, and not already installed onto the bolts. The Shimano instructions make it sound like the bolt head "sinks" into the opening of the cap, with the cap prongs facing in the same direction as the bolt stem. Then, there's a washer on the bolt. The washer was on the bolt straight out of the package. The washer will not come off of the bolt stem (too tight, and not meant to be removed I suppose). So, if I understand correctly, the cap needs to go in between the bolt head and the washer, and "clamp onto" the piece of bolt stem in between. Make sense? Do I have this right? If so, what's the best way to get the cap "open" enough to get the bolt head to pass through it, but not the washer...........because that's the only way I see the two working together with one another?

On a completely different note, do I even really need to use the caps at all? In other words, can I not just tighten the bolts to torque spec, without the use of the plastic caps in between, and be done with it? What do the rest of you do about it?

mtbr member
    I left my caps in the box. Torqued and re-check regularly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you talking about the things that look like this?
    If so, they just snap on around the bolt heads after the bolts are installed, adjusted, and tightened down. You push them on such that the one of the prongs rests against the adaptor and/or brake so that the bolt can't loosen. That's the theory at least, few people other than the bike manufacturers use the darn things, Shimano uses threadlock on their bolts anyway so it's pretty unlikely that a bolt will loosen off on its own even without the plastic clips.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Are you talking about the things that look like this?
    If so, they just snap on around the bolt heads after the bolts are installed, adjusted, and tightened down. You push them on such that the one of the prongs rests against the adaptor and/or brake so that the bolt can't loosen. That's the theory at least, few people other than the bike manufacturers use the darn things, Shimano uses threadlock on their bolts anyway so it's pretty unlikely that a bolt will loosen off on its own even without the plastic clips.

Yep... That's what I was referring to. Finally got em' on the other night, but they didn't stay on and popped right back off again when snugging down on the bolt. I've learned that they're basically useless. As suggested, I just went with the bolts alone, and no useless clips. Thanks for the input though, to both of you that replied!