mtbr member

Shimano brake bleed kit

So I've been looking at videos about how to bleed brakes. They have people with 2 syringes pushing hydraulic fluid into the caliper. My question is where you get a brake bleed kit like that. I just bought a used bike with my first discs. Is there a kit somewhere that has the yellow caliper block, the pad spacer block, syringes and a proper size tubing??

Also can someone tell me what year and model brakes I have by looking at these pics.

The owner wasn't sure if the bike was originally a 2005 or 2006. I could tell from the serial # that the frame was warrantee replaced 2008 frame. I'm trying to figure out the bike now.

I really like the way it rides. The shifters are really funky, and will take a bit of getting used too

Thanks for any help

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Shimano makes a brake bleed kit.......(albeit OVERPRICED!!!!)

mtbr member
    Those brakes (or at least the calipers) are M765s.

mtbr member
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Thanks in the trees

Plays with tools
    All you need for a bleed on those is a bottle of fluid and a catch can. It's pretty simple to do a top down bleed on these without the shimano kit. It's not the best way, but it works 99% of the time. The important tip is that once your 'done' close the bleed port on the caliper and pump the lever several times to build pressure. Then with the lever squeezed all the way, crack the bleed port on the caliper. I normally do this at least twice. The calipers of that era had some tight spots that liked to hide air bubbles. Doing the above will force them out.

mtbr member
    I probably over think things when I'm new to them. I've bled car and moto brakes countless times. In the trees is sending me out some stuff, and I have a liter of pentosin chf 7.1, and some truckerco aluminum backed pads coming in the mail.

Plays with tools
    Shimano brakes take mineral oil not any type of typical brake fluid.

mtbr member
    Yep I know. Here is an article about Pentosin.

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shimano brakes take mineral oil not any type of typical brake fluid.

mtbr member
    i had same dual controls on my previous bike. i believe it was 2005 model. they are easy to bleed. no kit needed. just a plastic hose that would fit the nipple and something to catch oil. customfabs method is how i was bleeding mine.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sometimes bleeding the brakes off the bike will help to get those "hidden" bubbles free.

mtbr member
    My brakes are working fine right now, but I need to change out my pads. I wanted to be able to bleed the brakes, and flush out the old mineral oil.

mtbr member

Re: Shimano brake bleed kit

Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    My brakes are working fine right now, but I need to change out my pads. I wanted to be able to bleed the brakes, and flush out the old mineral oil.
    Mineral oil is not hygroscopic like dot brake fluid. I would not change it until quite old. However given the somewhat unknown bike history...

If you open the reservoir how does the fluid look now?

mtbr member
    When I open up the reservoir the brake fluid looks great, but wouldn't the fluid in the actual caliper be the fluid that takes abuse from heat etc.. I wouldn't expect the fluid in the reservoir to take abuse.

mtbr member

Re: Shimano brake bleed kit

Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    When I open up the reservoir the brake fluid looks great, but wouldn't the fluid in the actual caliper be the fluid that takes abuse from heat etc.. I wouldn't expect the fluid in the reservoir to take abuse.
    The fluid moves from brake lever (master cylinder) to brake cylinder (slave cylinder) and back. It all mixes with each brake application.

If the fluid looks good and brakes are firm I just wouldn't start messing with things.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up Thickfog.

mtbr member
    Well I got my brake pads, mineral oil, and bleed kit. Brought my bike in the house to replace my pads, and when I pulled my pads I realized they still have plenty of life. I guess at least I'm set up to replace and service my brakes now. I just have to rebuild my shock, replace my linkage bearings(when I pulled it apart to grease the bearings I realized that a couple were a bit crunchy) and take my forks in to be serviced. Then I'll have a great bike.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    How you liking the Pentosin? Just ordered some yesteryday.

Oni