Thread: Shimano BR-M765

mtbr member

Shimano BR-M765

I picked up a set of 765s on sale, both having rear adapters.Problem is the 160 mm shimano adapter for front I.S. mount is going to take some time to round up.I have a BB7 IS adapter that looks like it might work? is it in my best interest to be patient and wait for the shimano part? also why do some shimano rotors specify to use resin pads only? seems like most rotors do not specify which type of pads to use. The rotors I am going to use with the BR_M 765s are SM-RT51, maybe matching rotor and pads are no longer made?

nothing to see here
    The lining up of the bolt holes will be fine, but the calliper's clearance of the adapter might not allow proper mounting. If it clears and mounts fine, use it.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    it does not look right to me now that I have it mounted up, guess I will buy the shimano part, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Shimano specifies resin (or organic) pads on some of their rotors because they are not hardened enough for metalic pad use without wearing out very quickly. It's a cost saving thing, not for you, for them. To my knowledge Shimano is the only company that does this. Usually the "resin pad only" thing applies primarily to their lower end brakes. Anyway, if you intend to use metalic pads, don't get Shimano rotors that are marked for resin pad use. It will actually be marked on the rotor. If a Shimano rotor has no pad preference marking on it, it can be used with either pad type.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    good clear concise info....yu da man! so I have low end rotors on my high end XTs? very quiet on my other bike thar has resin pads and the no preference xt rotors, thanks for your help.