Thread: Shimano BR-M445

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Shimano BR-M445

Does anyone have a comment or review with these brakes? Shimano Alivio BR-m445 hydraulic brakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They came stock on my 2011 Scott Scale Team 29er, they've been working good so far, although this is my first real mountainbike since the huffy's I rode as a kid (15+ years ago).

I'm actually trying to find some information on the brake rotors and if it'd be beneficial to replace them with lighter ones...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks alot no problems here niether I'm very happy with my first mtb. I posted it on youtube 2010 giant xtc 29er 2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, as a newb my frame of reference is limited. I have however ridden $5k plus bikes before, albiet in the 90's so old tech. These 445's on my new C'Dale SL2 29er are absolutely insane. I'm sure compared to Avid 5's and other newer top of the liners they have comprimises, but I have never felt so much stopping power on a bike. They have excellent modulation are noiseless so far after ~60 miles. I can't imagine needing more. Maybe(and i mean maybe) they would overheat with repetative heavy use, but that won't happen unless you compete.

Quick example, I was booking it down a hill the other day at an indicated 34mph, and had to slow down to 10 in about 50 feet as a pedestrian enterd the bike path. I barely touched both brakes simultaniously and they just did thier job undramatically, and powerfully without even applying near lockup power. Stoppies are easy as pie, and the rear wheel drags at about 40% of application.