mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano BL-M775 Brake Lever Overhaul

Hi guys.

I have a two and hald years old xt brake set and I want to dissamble the lever for general maintenance and lubing all the required parts. When trying to do it myself I see with fear that the shaft that goes into the oil reservour could go out and damage the lever (first time hidraulics user). So I donīt know how to remove it, should I bleed them after doing it? Could I damage a seal or something like that in the process?

Thanks a lot guys.

bye

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Guys, no one?

...idios...
    The piston seals are lubricated by the brake fluid in the MC, so you don't really have anything to gain. On top of this, you can't get new seals for Shimano brakes, so if you unsettle or damge a seal by tinkering, then the brake has to go back to Shimano for repair.

Apart from keeping caliper seals clean (extend piston, drip mineral oil or apply silicone lubricant, wipe clean and depress piston) and a drop of dry lube (with excess wiped away) on the lever pivot, your brakes are more or less unserviceable. Another way to look at it is that they are virtually maintenance free!! One of the reasons that Shimano brakes are so popular in the UK is that they survive very, very well with only a small amount of preventative maintenance.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ol, Steve, thanks a lot for your answer...I was making reference to this part:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830637950.pdf
    At the lever, you see the axle with a little ball at the end that inserts in the MC...
    Did I explained myself?. In that case, does your anwer still applys?

thanks!

...idios...
    How is the ball-ended pin held into the MC? Is there a washer and circlip? It may be under a rubber hood which is also held in with some kind of clip.

Even if the lever blade (part # 10) can be removed with the ball-ended pin still attached, you won't really achieve anything. You won't be able to, or need to, meddle with the MC piston and seals which the ball-ended pin is pushing, so, for the reasons I gave in my first post, you might be wiser to leave stuff alone. If you want an idea of what goes on inside a hydrualic brake lever, take a look at this overhaul guide for an older Hope lever. Although the Shimano lever is a radial design, the basics of operation are the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks a lot steve. Message clear...just leave them like they are until they die!

hehehe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fran
    thanks a lot steve. Message clear...just leave them like they are until they die!

hehehe

this is my SAINT M810
    if you need other detail pictures I can send it to you later

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ok ppp, looks, good, would you mind send me how did you do it (what did you unscrew and what didnīt) thanks!

mtbr member
    I thought Shimano stuff was basically unrepairable by design.
    Nobody cares...........

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    I thought Shimano stuff was basically unrepairable by design.
    It is. That's why, although the lever can be dismantled, there's no point. There's a greater probability of the lever failing as a result of "overhaul" than from actual use. What's the expression? If it ain't broken, don't fix it.".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    It is. That's why, although the lever can be dismantled, there's no point. There's a greater probability of the lever failing as a result of "overhaul" than from actual use. What's the expression? If it ain't broken, don't fix it.".
    But in this case, it's "fix it until it breaks".