mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Shimano or Avid?

I am planning to purchase a 2005 Specialized Epic Comp. For this model year the bike comes in two versions; with the Shimano M-765 XT brakes or with the Avid Juicy 5 brakes. Both are of course, hydraulic discs with a 6" rotor.

I weigh about 160 lbs. and ride Cross Country only, every weekend (except winter months). I do not race.

Can anyone suggest which brake may be a better choice?

Thanks.

SS Chimp

read this....

to get my opinion on the subject.
    Last edited by 32x18; 02-02-2005 at 12:17 PM. Reason: bad url
    all single...all the time

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman
    I am planning to purchase a 2005 Specialized Epic Comp. For this model year the bike comes in two versions; with the Shimano M-765 XT brakes or with the Avid Juicy 5 brakes. Both are of course, hydraulic discs with a 6" rotor.

I weigh about 160 lbs. and ride Cross Country only, every weekend (except winter months). I do not race.

Thanks.
    I've got XT on a 5 Spot and Juicy 7 on a Flux right now. I've got good time in on both brakes. I like the Juicy better. The 5 and the 7 are the same basic brake, but the 7 has the adjustable pad contact point. I prefer the modulation of the Juicy over that of the XT. The XT is subtley a little touchier. I have a very early gen of the Juicy so it has the original wavy rotor. I had to file the edges, but it's extra sweet once I did (for what it's worth, it worked pretty well with XT rotors). Stock pad compound on the Juicy can get a little loud in extra sloppy conditions or when it's really, really hot. After swapping the pads with red EBC, I've had no probs.

Either is a good brake. Another thing to consider - the Juicy has a super simple bleed design with screw on syringes. It's a no brainer. Definitely the easiest brake out there to bleed in my opinion.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    The Shimano XT has a forged one-piece caliper which means you get more power than a two-piece design like the Avid. Also, the Shimano has been manufactured longer which usually means bugs ironed out. Also, you'll probably find more shops are familiar with Shimano brakes as compared to Avid. I have Shimano XT on two bikes and personally like the ease of servicing them plus the fact they use good old mineral oil. Bottom line, ride both and see which you like best.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman

Thanks.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    The Shimano XT has a forged one-piece caliper which means you get more power than a two-piece design like the Avid. Also, the Shimano has been manufactured longer which usually means bugs ironed out. Also, you'll probably find more shops are familiar with Shimano brakes as compared to Avid. I have Shimano XT on two bikes and personally like the ease of servicing them plus the fact they use good old mineral oil. Bottom line, ride both and see which you like best.
    Arguable..... J5's are downgraded J7's at the lever. The caliper remains the same and J7's had been out quite the same time two pistons XT's....

Now for power I dunno, but read reviews here and you'll find that every user had praised power on Juicy's. XT's are referred as "ok" regarding power.

Has Shimano solved the problem with sticky pistons yet on this two piston design (XTR, XT, Saint)???? I remember people complaining about having to return calipers to shimano due to one of the pistons got stuck and not even cleaning helped....
    Check my Site

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Arguable..... J5's are downgraded J7's at the lever. The caliper remains the same and J7's had been out quite the same time two pistons XT's....

Now for power I dunno, but read reviews here and you'll find that every user had praised power on Juicy's. XT's are referred as "ok" regarding power.

Has Shimano solved the problem with sticky pistons yet on this two piston design (XTR, XT, Saint)???? I remember people complaining about having to return calipers to shimano due to one of the pistons got stuck and not even cleaning helped....
    the shimano problem's seem to have been resolved after the initial release of the XTR caliper. I have 8 calipers around on different bikes and no problems with any of them.
    all single...all the time

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003

I have three sets of XT and XTR calipers and they have all been great. I've extendedly used most major disc brakes and the Shimano's have actually given the least (read none) piston sticking problems. I think the problem was a combination of early runs and poor installation on others. My Hopes had a notorious piston seizing problem in comparison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Not trying to interrupt the current discussion, but...

I'm new to disc brakes. I've just received a brand new bike from an online dealer with Avid mech 5's and XT rotors. Should there be a compatability issue here? My LBS noticed that the Avid pads' surfaces are bigger than the XT rotors' braking surfaces. This is the way my bike (which I purchased from a pre-existing online build sheet) was spec'd from the online shop, and I have experienced pulsing with my rear brake. The new XT hubs require the XT or XTR splined rotor vs. normal 6-bolt, which apparently limits rotor selection to Shimano. Anyone else have experience with this? Are there other splined rotors out there that would be compatable with my Avid mech if the XT's aren't?

I liked the simplicity of the mech brake, and the rave reviews of the Avid mech sold me. However, I'm not entirely convinced that they're compatable with the XT rotor with performance thus far. I wish I knew about the splined hub thing before purchasing the bike spec'd the way it was. I'm thinking about selling my Avid mech setup (SD-7 levers, flack jacket cables, and Avid mech 5 calipers) and investing in XT or XTR hydros for piece of mind. Are there other caliper options (mech OR hydro aside from Shimano) that would be compatable with my splined XT hubs and XT rotors?

Can anyone recommend a lightweight and relatively hassle-free brake setup that would allow me to keep my wheels "as is"? I'm getting my hands more dirty with my bike every day, but I'm not a trained mechanic. I have an inherent fear of a hydro line braking on me on an epic ride...thus my interest in mechs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by MidshipmanX
    I'm new to disc brakes. I've just received a brand new bike from an online dealer with Avid mech 5's and XT rotors. Should there be a compatability issue here? My LBS noticed that the Avid pads' surfaces are bigger than the XT rotors' braking surfaces. This is the way my bike (which I purchased from a pre-existing online build sheet) was spec'd from the online shop, and I have experienced pulsing with my rear brake. The new XT hubs require the XT or XTR splined rotor vs. normal 6-bolt, which apparently limits rotor selection to Shimano. Anyone else have experience with this? Are there other splined rotors out there that would be compatable with my Avid mech if the XT's aren't?

I liked the simplicity of the mech brake, and the rave reviews of the Avid mech sold me. However, I'm not entirely convinced that they're compatable with the XT rotor with performance thus far. I wish I knew about the splined hub thing before purchasing the bike spec'd the way it was. I'm thinking about selling my Avid mech setup (SD-7 levers, flack jacket cables, and Avid mech 5 calipers) and investing in XT or XTR hydros for piece of mind. Are there other caliper options (mech OR hydro aside from Shimano) that would be compatable with my splined XT hubs and XT rotors?

Can anyone recommend a lightweight and relatively hassle-free brake setup that would allow me to keep my wheels "as is"? I'm getting my hands more dirty with my bike every day, but I'm not a trained mechanic. I have an inherent fear of a hydro line braking on me on an epic ride...thus my interest in mechs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Measure the brake track width (the width of the surface where the pad contacts the rotor) and look for a brake (pads) with a similar measure. Or you can calculate it. Outside Diameter minus Inner diameter divided by 2.

Or... you can buy at Jenson a Problem solver adapter and install avid rotors.
    Check my Site

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Shimano lever

If I'm not mistaken, the one drawback to Shimano discs is that you have to use their multi-function levers (brake+shifter pod).
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    If I'm not mistaken, the one drawback to Shimano discs is that you have to use their multi-function levers (brake+shifter pod).
    Somewhere I read that you can use any Shimano hydro lever but I'm not sure. With Dual-control Pods for vee's you can use the Avid mechs. For sure you can't use Juicy's with Dual controls.

Here's a new adapter from DT Swiss for thos who waht to use non-shimano calipers on centerlock hubs.... just found it on the MBAction Site
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Integrated Levers?

Quote Originally Posted by HTail

On the new Epic it has separate shifters (M-570 LX) and brake levers (does not specify exactly which levers). This was something that I was concerned about, I did not want the integerated levers. (although, I think that every reveiw I have read about the integrated levers has been positive.)