Thread: Shimano Adapter

mtbr member
    May 2013

Shimano Adapter

Hey guys/gals:

All the talk on here about Shimano brakes has me thinking about getting a new set of Shimano XT brakes. I have a question about Shimano adapters though. I posted my inquiry under a specific, existing thread yesterday, but I haven't heard back from anyone, yet. I think maybe something goofy is going on with it, and MTBR, under there, too, because my post was the last but it doesn't show up that way in the forums (so maybe nobody has seen it). Anyway, I thought I'd post it again, here, to see if anyone can help me out.

I'm good on the rear adapter, but I'm not 100% certain on which front adapter I would need. I think it is the one that Universal Cycles calls: 180mm/74mm/Front/74mm Post. What do you think?

Please see my pic below, and the web links for what I believe to be what I need...

Universal Cycles -- Shimano Disc Brake Adapters

Shimano Disc Brake Adapter - Post Mount F180P/P2 at BikeTiresDirect

Shimano Adapter-img_20130616_123737_053.jpg

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If that's your current brake/adapter setup and you're going to use a 180mm rotor then you won't need to buy a new adapter, you can use a Shimano brake with a 180mm Avid PM to PM adapter, just bolt it on exactly the same way as that Avid brake in the photo.

human dehumidifier
    Looks like you're missing half of the CPS washers. There should be two on each bolt between the caliper and adapter.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Looks like you're missing half of the CPS washers. There should be two on each bolt between the caliper and adapter.
    Not necessarily, Avid now makes Non CPS/Standard brakes that don't need the CPS washers on the underside of the caliper.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies! The idea of just reusing the Avid adapter sounds viable, but I can't do that. I want all new setup, including Shimano adapters, for new Shimano brakes. I guess I'm just weird like that...

I don't know a whole lot about the subject of brakes, but please briefly enlighten me... What is the purpose of the "CPS washers?" I assume they have something to do with cushioning/dampening the caliper-to-adapter mounting, perhaps giving a slight bit of "give" in the system? Would I need them with a new Shimano XT caliper setup, married to new Shimano adapters?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You're wasting your money if you buy new adapters.

A 180mm pm to pm adapter from one brand will do exactly the same thing as a 180mm pm to pm adapter from a different brand, they probably all come out of the same factory too.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Not necessarily, Avid now makes Non CPS/Standard brakes that don't need the CPS washers on the underside of the caliper.
    I don't doubt you but don't see how that provides any adjustability. The adapter bolts straight to the fork, the brake straight to the adapter, so where does the wiggle come from? Having the CPS above the caliper doesn't do it.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I don't doubt you but don't see how that provides any adjustability. The adapter bolts straight to the fork, the brake straight to the adapter, so where does the wiggle come from? Having the CPS above the caliper doesn't do it.
    Do you really need the wiggle, other brands don't need the wiggle.

CPS washers on top between the caliper and the bolt head will allow an even downwards tightening force from the bolt head to the caliper if the bolt isn't at 90 degrees to the top of the caliper.

Shimano uses CPS style washers in the same way with their 180mm PM to PM adapter.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830667774.PDF

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Shimano Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies! The idea of just reusing the Avid adapter sounds viable, but I can't do that. I want all new setup, including Shimano adapters, for new Shimano brakes. I guess I'm just weird like that...

I don't know a whole lot about the subject of brakes, but please briefly enlighten me... What is the purpose of the "CPS washers?" I assume they have something to do with cushioning/dampening the caliper-to-adapter mounting, perhaps giving a slight bit of "give" in the system? Would I need them with a new Shimano XT caliper setup, married to new Shimano adapters?
    The CPS washers are required (on most Avid calipers) to properly spaced from the rotor. If the caliper is not designed to use them they will be none, top or bottom. Avid dropped the CPS washers on the high end brakes to save weight.

You do not want any cushion/give in any caliper mounting.

I MUCH prefer CPS because it easily allows adjustment for misaligned brake bosses and causes zero issues when secured properly (some people can not seem to figure out how to do that).

But in all cases with most current disc calipers, any mounting bracket for use with a 180 (or 160, 185, 200, 203...) rotor will properly space any caliper properly. Main difference being there may be (rare) clearance issues when mixing brands of brackets and calipers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Shimano Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Do you really need the wiggle, other brands don't need the wiggle.

CPS washers on top between the caliper and the bolt head will allow an even downwards tightening force from the bolt head to the caliper if the bolt isn't at 90 degrees to the top of the caliper.

Shimano uses CPS style washers in the same way with their 180mm PM to PM adapter.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830667774.PDF
    I constantly see non-Avid brakes with misaligned calipers because of slightly off-spec frame/fork mounts (mostly post mount, where faces changes little). Pads can not be adjusted to be parallel to the rotor. CPS makes fixing that a snap.

The top-only washers simply let the bolt head tighten squarely when the mount face is not perpendicular with the bolt.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Shiggy, thanks for the explanation on the proper function and use of the CPS washers. I'll definitely use them with the XTs, if they're supplied and recommended by Shimano. From that Shimano tech sheet that cobba posted, it looks like some version of them are specified.

As a matter of fact, look at the tech sheet that cobba posted. Look at the inset diagram. It shows the use of a little "L-shaped" piece. That same piece is shown in the product picture on the Bike Tires Direct product link that I posted in my original post. Shimano doesn't say what it's for in that tech sheet. What do you think it's for? It's shown in the inset, but not in the main diagram. Does that suggest that it's an optional piece, which may or may not be needed? By the way, thanks for posting that tech sheet, cobba.

Shimano Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Shiggy, thanks for the explanation on the proper function and use of the CPS washers. I'll definitely use them with the XTs, if they're supplied and recommended by Shimano. From that Shimano tech sheet that cobba posted, it looks like some version of them are specified.

As a matter of fact, look at the tech sheet that cobba posted. Look at the inset diagram. It shows the use of a little "L-shaped" piece. That same piece is shown in the product picture on the Bike Tires Direct product link that I posted in my original post. Shimano doesn't say what it's for in that tech sheet. What do you think it's for? It's shown in the inset, but not in the main diagram. Does that suggest that it's an optional piece, which may or may not be needed? By the way, thanks for posting that tech sheet, cobba.
    CPS is Avid-only (until their patent runs out), And is not CPS unless the washers are on both sides of each caliper mounting bolt (that is how it is adjustable). Can not be fitted to other brands unless you are willing to modify the mounting brackets to position the caliper the proper distance from the rotor.

That "L" piece is a safety device that only Shimano thinks is required to keep the bolt tight.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld