High Speed Botanist

Shimano 555 disc brakes....

So i just got disc brakes for the first time. Went on a little ride on some trails and noticed that they seem to be rattling. Seems to be the pads inside the calipers? Lots of rattling fromt the front and rear. All bolts are tight so i assume the rattling is from the pads but have never heard anyone complain about this. Will it go away? Or am i just being to picky? I dunno but it does not give me a feeling of confidence to hear rattles on my bike. The levers and modulation feels great though as they are just starting to break in. Very good except for the noise so far.

High Speed Botanist

ah ha...

maybe this is what i need, shouldn't this be mandatory?

"Antirattle *clips *are *frequently *used *to *keep *the brake pads from vibrating and rattling. The clip snaps onto the brake pad to produce a force fit in the caliper. In some cases, an antirattle spring is used instead of a clip."

High Speed Botanist

found it here...

nice PDF dealing with shimano disc brakes. Just a little tweaking and i should be a happy camper.

www.paul-lange.de/nl/2001/TT_1_01.PDF

"El Whatever"
    There you go...... just modify the spring.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lswing
    nice PDF dealing with shimano disc brakes. Just a little tweaking and i should be a happy camper.

www.paul-lange.de/nl/2001/TT_1_01.PDF

Thanks for the link. I have the same front caliper metallic rattling noise on my brand new RM Element equipped with Shimano BR-M525 disks. One of the pads in the front caliper is loose which in turn I gather hits the rotor when going over bumps and causes the rattle sound. Was not sure what to do about it until I started searching trough all the postings and came upon yours. Iíll bring my bike in for service and let them deal with it, so if they break the spring while bending it they can replace it under warranty.

Seeing has the Tech Talk Newsletter is dated 1/2001 one would assume Shimano would have solved this problem by now. Guess not!