mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shimano 525 Brake Pads

I'm having trouble locating brake pads for my shimano 525 hydros. Do the pads from a Deore mechanical work on these brakes?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Nope, not the same.

The 525's are different than the 515's and the late-model Shimano Deore hydros.

Check a couple of your web-tailers to find one that carries EBC pads, the EBC CFA 327 pads fit the 525 brakes and I found that the golds work well. Particularly with Avid rotors on those brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Nope, not the same.

Check a couple of your web-tailers to find one that carries EBC pads, the EBC CFA 327 pads fit the 525 brakes and I found that the golds work well. Particularly with Avid rotors on those brakes.
    Bear,
    I went to a couple of websites(alfred e bike and bikeman) and found that cfa 327 pads are for Shimano Deore mechanicals. And they look just like my 525's. I then did a Yahoo search on EBC 327 Disk brake pads. I found that the 327's fit 2001 deore mechanical and 2002 deore 525. I also saw EBC 329 which fit 2001 deore hydros and do not look like my pads. So, to me it looks like the 525's take 2 different pad sets - depending on what year you have. Shimano does not make things easy, do they.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Nope, not the same.
    Are you sure? I've been using 515 pad in my 525 calipers. The newer Deore 555 calipers use a different pad - and some distributers catalogues erroniously list the 555 caliper with the 525 picture, and vica versa...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Are you sure? I've been using 515 pad in my 525 calipers. The newer Deore 555 calipers use a different pad - and some distributers catalogues erroniously list the 555 caliper with the 525 picture, and vica versa...

I think you hit the nail on the head. You said you have been using 515 pads in 525 hydros. Do they work good? Go to the Koolstop webside and look at the brake pads. They show 2 different brake pads for deore hydros. One must be for the 525 and one is probably for the newer 555. They are completely different. They also have a seperate part number for the 515 - but it looks just like the 525 pad. Why would they do that? It just increases inventory, and nobody wants to do that!

Don

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    I think you hit the nail on the head. You said you have been using 515 pads in 525 hydros. Do they work good? Go to the Koolstop webside and look at the brake pads. They show 2 different brake pads for deore hydros. One must be for the 525 and one is probably for the newer 555. They are completely different. They also have a seperate part number for the 515 - but it looks just like the 525 pad. Why would they do that? It just increases inventory, and nobody wants to do that! Don
    No problems so far using the 515 pads in the 525s.

The part number difference may have to do with mineral oil & metalic pads - there is a reluctance for manufactures to spec metalic pads with mineral oil systems - the reason being that the metalic pads conduct heat to the slave piston faster, which can lead to over heating. Pure speculation, but the part number difference may be thier way to ensure that only resin & semi metalic pads get spec'ed to the 525s. I've used metalic pads in mineral oil systems without any problems - you mileage may vary.

555s are indeed different, and a better caliper IMHO.

Cheers, Tom

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I could easily be confused on the 515 vs 525 compat issue, I think I still have a pair of EBC pads that were given to me by a LBS for the bike that are in the wrapper 'cause they were wrong but labelled right. ;^(

Yeah, Shim doesn't exactly make it easy. Which is crazy, IMHO, because I've seen a lot of bikes with the 525's OEM'd from the bike manu.

FWIW, I ran the EBC golds ( metallic ) on the 525's and they were fine. Never had an issue with pump-up or fade or air in the lines or nothing. By the time I put those on I had converted to Avid Clean Sweep rotors ( 160 rear, 185 front ) to get better wet-weather performance. I did a couple runs in Moab last spring with them where the rear rotor AND hub heated up enough to boil water on, but never any complaints from the brakes nor any fade.