mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Sheared 2 Avid Mag Elixir CR Bar clamps

So maybe I shouldn't crash so much but I've destroyed the bar mounts for 2 Avid CRs in separate crashes There is very little aluminum and the leverage in a front end crash - didn't see that tree - shears them easily. Costing me a fortune!

So now I have 2 perfectly good calipers, rotors etc, but what I'm looking for is a high performance brake which is a bit more robust. If I can re-use my calipers etc so much the better but not an issue.

Thinking Formula, anything else I should consider? This is for racing/enduro, don't need a downhiller brake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    you got a pic of the damage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokay
    So maybe I shouldn't crash so much but I've destroyed the bar mounts for 2 Avid CRs in separate crashes There is very little aluminum and the leverage in a front end crash - didn't see that tree - shears them easily. Costing me a fortune!

So now I have 2 perfectly good calipers, rotors etc, but what I'm looking for is a high performance brake which is a bit more robust. If I can re-use my calipers etc so much the better but not an issue.

Thinking Formula, anything else I should consider? This is for racing/enduro, don't need a downhiller brake.
    Perhaps something like this will fix your problem?
    http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/a...k-ea-3010.html
    With any brakes, you should leave the lever clamp loose enough so the brake master cylinder body will actually turn on the bars in a crash to prevent damage...

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    It is standard practice for a lot of us motocross and desert motorcycle guys to put some teflon tape around the bar prior to mounting our brake and clutch levers. You can then tighten the bolts up to a pretty reasonable amount, however, during a crash the levers will spin instead of breaking. I can actually move my levers by hand and have never had the move or vibrate to a different position while riding. Just a thought.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes I'm kicking myself for not doing both those suggestions, I'd heard them before just never got round to trying it. Will do next time - just trying to make up my mind which replacement to go with. I do think the Avids are more high risk given both the fragile mount and the layout which creates lots of leverage say compared to a Hayes Prime.

(I'll post a photo)