mtbr member
    May 2009

Sharpest barkes for weak hands

My wife had hand surgery in December and now has very limited strength in her right hand and not much better left hand. She currently has rim breaks on GF Marlin which takes considerable amount of pull to stop her. She only rides roads now, but we live in the area with many 10-15 grade roads. Currently she can not ride any of them due the the fact that she would not be able to stop going downhill if she had to.

So I'm looking for the sharpest most sensitive breaks that also have reach adjustment on the handle. (small hands). I have many bikes but all have bb5 amd bb7 on them and those still require quite a bit of pulling force to lock a front wheel. My motorcycles have hydro brakes that I can luck up with one finger. This is what I'm looking for. If it costs $1000 for a set so be it. I'm assuming 203mm rotors would be good start. Please help.

mtbr member
    Hope V2
    Shimano Saint 4pot.

Those two brakes have monster amounts of power. The Hope will easily hurl a 200lb+ rider over the bars with one tug of the lever, it also has a big lever blade, which might be helpful for your wife.

The Saint brake has a smaller lever, but practically speaking is just as powerful.

Neither is cheap (or light) but both have adjustable reach for smaller hands and will take a 180mm or 200mm rotor. They're also well proven, reliable and easy to get parts for should they be needed.

There's others too, any decent hydro brake (Deore level up) will be a big improvement over rim brakes, doubly so in wet weather. But they're the ones with the monstrous power.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm assuming the the break housing is larger, thus permitting larger diameter rotors or do I need special attachment to go from 160 to 203mm. Thank you for your help.

~Disc~Golf~
    it's B-R-A-K-E
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    The caliper will need an adapter to fit 203mm rotors.

Both brakes are post mount but the fork I don't know. It will either be post mount too or it will be IS mount. If you take the bike to a shop they'll be able to tell you straight away and the right adapter.

It's worth checking if the frame and fork are rated for 203mm rotors too, not all are and it could be an issue if you ever need warranty service.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Not too worried about the warranty, I picked up this frame for nothing on CraigsList. Plus my wife weight 110lb. The fork I got on it is post mount but I have 3 other forks with IS mount and plenty of adapters to convert to post mount. I just never dealt with larger rotors so wasn't sure about adapters.