mtbr member
    Jun 2004

setup of brakes on Trek 8000

I had a new Trek 8000 shipped in a box to me in Korea. I setup the bike as close as I can. the brakes seem to be working well and properly, but I want to know the proper setup for the return springs.

The "see you local Trek dealer" manual is next to useless, although it has good info on pad setup. I know, dealers are worth their weight in gold for hands-on experience tuning bikes, but it really isn't viable where I am. I work on cars all the time, so with the right tools, I know I can do this.

Anyway, the real question I have now is the return springs. They have adjustment screws at the bottom to force the brake arms back out when you release. What is the proper method for adjusting these? I basically have them cranked all the way down, so it would center the brake arms over the tire, but I don't think this is right. It brakes fine, doesn't bottom out, but plenty of clearance, so I think the rest is fine.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian T. Carter

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Three Year Bike Mechanic

I've worked on V-Brakes for a while now, and there really isn't a "right" tension for the return spring. Basically, as long as the springs are strong enough to counteract any friction between the cable and the housing, you're set. Any tension beyond that is more or less personal preference- tighter springs offer a tighter lever feel, while lower tension makes for less effort when it comes to grabbing a handful of brake. I personally hate super-light action (in regard to both shifters and brakes), so I set tension on the bikes I build to moderate- sometimes moderately high if the lever has the right... feel to it. Play around, see what works. Also, if you feel like you have too much friction in your brakes, you may want to try dripping a little bit of wet lube down your housing to ease that a bit.

Though I'll be mighty embarrassed if someone comes up to me and says that what I just said was wrong.