mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Setting up brakes

I picked up some juicy 7s and then some new shifters thanks to the combos my bike came with. I am having problems in the rear (brake); the rear the caliper sits to close to the rotor and rubs. I put 3 washers in but this only seems like a band aid what should I do or use. Thanks The rubbing I’m talking about is on top of the rotors not on the braking contact points.
    Last edited by rportell; 11-03-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Rub it............
    What size ROTORS did your Juicy's come with?

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    sounds like the wrong bracket...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The rotors are the shimano center lock that came on the bike. As for the mounting bracket I didn’t have on the shimanos, the bolt pattern is the same. So I guess a mounting bracket will get me going where is the best place to pick on up at and what do you recommend.
    Last edited by rportell; 11-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Rub it............
    You are going to need to know the size of the ROTOR (not roader - sorry pet peeve). This will allow you to get the correct size bracket.

Avid brackets run in 3 sizes. 160,185,203

But if the Shimano rotors are a different size, you will need the correct bracket to fit them.

Shimano rotors run in 3 sizes. 160, 170, 203

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ok thanks alot I think that will take care of it sorry about the spelling.

Rub it............
    The rotors should have the size stamped on them. Take a look. If you still are having issues, take a few pictures and post up here, or take your bike to an LBS and have someone take a peek at them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The rotor sizie is 160

Dirt Deviant
    Make sure the adapter wasn't installed upside down.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Been messing with the brakes some more talked to a LBS mechanic and still donít know what is causing the rub. I have washers in the front and back calipers. Im just worried about the washers moving when I do get it fixed. . The back brakes are far from where they should be on stopping power. The front bolt straight to the fork. The back has the stock mounting adapter that came on the bike and was wondering if avid made one specifically for the juicy 7s. Its like I have a rotor that is a little too big but its all stock with a brake up grade. Think Iím going to take it to the shop and have them take a look at it.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    i know avid has about a dozen and a half different adaptors... seems like there might be a reason for them lol

Oh, if you could take a pic and post it, that might help with the diagnosis.

mtbr member
    I don't think the washers (spacers?) will move. I have spacers I made from a beer can and they have endure evertthing I can dish out. Just make sure your mount bolt are tight and use locktite on them.