mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Setting reach on Elixir Rs?

If I set the same amount of reach between my front and rear levers, the rear lever will hit my knuckles. Is this normal?

I have to set the rear levers farther from the bar to get them to lock at the same point as the front. The front is set at 2.25 inches from the bar, will travel .25 inches before lock. The rears are set at 3.25 inches and will travel 1+ inches before locking.

Ive bled twice. The bleeds look good. No mush. Just more travel for the rears before being able to lock the rotors. Is this hose flex due to a longer rear brake hose?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, the Elixir R caliper does not have the "pad contact adjustment" that you can use in conjunction with the reach adjustment to achieve similar feel at both brake levers. Nonetheless, when you describe that one lever travels quarter inch before "locking" and the other travels one inch before doing so, it makes me think that the lever with the one inch free play needs to be bled again.

When bleeding the hose, are you certain that the hose rises continuously from the caliper up to the lever without any drops or loops? If the hose has any "downhill" path, then air bubbles could be trapped in the "peaks."
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    On both of my bikes, the longer hose to the back brake definitively makes for a slightly different lever-feel than the front. But they aren't as different as yours seem to be. I think that winter's recommendation is a good.

mtbr member
    Defo sounds like youve got air in the system.
    Re-bleed, and then before your done push extra fliud in from the caliper end to ensure the system is full.
    Also make sure that you fully extend the leavers so there is no reach adjustment when bleeding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i bled the system a fourth time. i pulled the entire rear brake off the bike this time and hung it vertically.

what i think did the trick was pumping the lever aggressively to dislodge trapped air. i was able to get some bubbles in an otherwise air free system.

now only a trail ride will tell.

thanks!