mtbr member
    Jan 2004

setting contact point adjustment closer to bars on Shimano M785 XT disc brakes

I just got some XT M785 disc brakes with the contact point adjustment screw. My hands are very small, and I prefer the lever to contact the rotor very close the bar. My grip is strongest the closer my hand is to a fist. Out of the box, the contact point adjustment screw on the XT helps bring the contact point closer to the bar, but nowhere near what I was able to accomplish with the Avid's contact point adjustment

Is there a trick to getting the contact point closer to the bar? Do I have to let out some fluid?

They do feel amazing and are very strong. My forearms and hand just gets tired with the lever engages farther out.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I experienced the same thing as you. While everybody raves about the new Shimano's, I ditched mine after a month. On top of the inability to get the lever as close to the bar as I prefer to prevent arm pump, both me and my buddy experienced terrible brake howl and glazing on one particularly long DH. To boot, the Shimano levers are a wee bit too short for my liking when used in combination with the KS remote lever.

I know the Avids get panned all over these boards but I find their adjustability superior and have never experienced the kind of glazing/howl I encountered on the XTs.