mtbr member
    May 2009

seatstay vs chainstay mounts

i've seen framebuilders put the caliper mounts on the chainstay when they want to free up the seatstay for something else, fender/rack mounts for example. otherwise it seems the mounts are always on the seatstays, even on frames where the chainstays are noticably beefier. there must be some advantage to this that makes it an optimum location but it's lost on me.
    someone enlighten me please.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am sure someone will come up with a more legitimate reason, but ease of caliper assembly seems to be the obvious reason to me.

When I check Scott Scale frames for example, they had to use curved chainstays and seatstays extending beyond the rear axle to make room for the caliper and align it with the disc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The higher you set the brakes the further they are from the dirt. Also, mounting to the seat stay puts the caliper more easily in tangent to the rotor. Frames like the scotts get away with putting it on the chainstay because their moulded stays put the caliper at a favourable angle. Look at an alloy frame and think of how long the rear post would have to be!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
    The higher you set the brakes the further they are from the dirt. Also, mounting to the seat stay puts the caliper more easily in tangent to the rotor. Frames like the scotts get away with putting it on the chainstay because their moulded stays put the caliper at a favourable angle. Look at an alloy frame and think of how long the rear post would have to be!
    Chainstay mounts work just fine on metal frames.

And in Ti.
    The only issue is getting the caliper/seatstay clearance right.
    Last edited by shiggy; 09-14-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The frame design and size can be a limiting factor with chainstay mounts to with what sort of brake caliper (hydraulic or mechanical) can be used and what size rotor can be used.

A small frame will have a smaller angle between the seat & chain stays, this means there will be less room where the brake is mounted.
    A larger frame of the same design will have a larger angle between the seat & chain stays, this means there will be more room where the brake is mounted.