mtbr member

Searching for more "bite"

I'm currently running Formula R1's with 203/180mm rotors (Brake Authority) and sintered pads (KoolStop). They work very well but, due to my size and weight (210lbs), they lack some bite once they get a tad too warm.
    There was no real bite, at all, with Formula's organic pads and the lacking bite / fade was even worse with Magura Storm SL rotors.

I was trying to solve this now by using some heavier rotors, with more surface area, or go with some two-piece rotor (genuine Formula preferably).

Any ideas or recommendations on this? I've had much bigger and heavier brakes before (with 4 pistons and braided hoses) but these brakes are already very close to what I wanted to have. They're really light and, if cold enough, very strong. It's just the little extra I'm searching for now to make them even nicer

b a n n e d
    Try running semi-metallic pads. Brake Authority Aggressive pads are excellent, and if you are are in the EU, you should be able to get them readily. I love them, but can't find them here in the states.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Yes, I think they should be easier to get here as they're from France IIRC. Harder to get than some others but I should be able to source them somehow.

I was running their Ceramic pads before I moved to the sintered Koolstops though and, so far, I liked the Koolstops better.

The reason I asked for "bite" specifically is that this, well, fade, isn't bad enough to let me lose control. It's just like the brake loses its teeth all of a sudden.
    So your bet is on the pad, not the rotor, to cause this issue?

b a n n e d
    Yes, I think that pads are going to have far greater of an impact on the initial Bite than rotor choice, especially since you are already running a good rotor that has plenty of surface area. Had you been running some Ashima's or Alligator rotors, it would be a different story.

The BA Ceramic pads (IIRC) are probably going to wear out a LOT faster than their Aggressive compound. I am running their Aggressive's right now and really like them. They were a substantial improvement, specifically in regard to initial bite, over organic compound pads.

mtbr member
    I'll give them a try, sounds exciting and I'd really like to "solve" this problem.

The one thing I liked best about the Ceramic pad was their modulation. As long as they stayed cool enough they were nicely grabby and modulated so well. The Koolstop isn't bad in that regard either but the Ceramic was definitely better.

The pad shouldn't have been too hot if the rotor hasn't changed its color, right? The solution can't be far away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought a bike from a guy with the Ashima PCB, and it's severely lacking in 'bite'. WHY is this a different story?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus_Rising View Post
    I bought a bike from a guy with the Ashima PCB, and it's severely lacking in 'bite'. WHY is this a different story?
    Pretty sure those brakes are not good. I don't think its the pads . . . I think its the brake system.

mtbr member
    As the thread got resurrected, I may post my "solution" that worked nicely throughout the season:

1. I exchanged my Brake Authority rotors for some 2-piece Formula ones. Their braking surface is a little wider and they're completely round.
    2. Pre-baked my pads. I put them on a heating plate when they were factory-fresh and waited for the first little cloud of smoke to come out. The sintered KoolStop pads I used, or rather their backplate, changed color during that process. From copper to a dark grey, almost like an old XTR grey. Very homogenous though.
    3. Cleaned everything twice. First with brake cleaner, then with alcohol from a drug store.

These brakes bite very well and they keep their teeth even at the end of a longer descent. Once the pads are gone I'll try some BA pads again. Their initial bite was just so good and they had incredible modulation (within the first millimeters of lever action).

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53 View Post
    As the thread got resurrected, I may post my "solution" that worked nicely throughout the season:

1. I exchanged my Brake Authority rotors for some 2-piece Formula ones. Their braking surface is a little wider and they're completely round.
    2. Pre-baked my pads. I put them on a heating plate when they were factory-fresh and waited for the first little cloud of smoke to come out. The sintered KoolStop pads I used, or rather their backplate, changed color during that process. From copper to a dark grey, almost like an old XTR grey. Very homogenous though.
    3. Cleaned everything twice. First with brake cleaner, then with alcohol from a drug store.

These brakes bite very well and they keep their teeth even at the end of a longer descent. Once the pads are gone I'll try some BA pads again. Their initial bite was just so good and they had incredible modulation (within the first millimeters of lever action).
    FYI, Mojo Wheels in CO is the ONLY store in the US that I've found to carry the BA pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53 View Post

Have the 13' R1 w/ formula 2 pc 180mm and their sintered pads .. @ 210lb and the problem is with fade for me. It has awesome initial bite/modulation (best one finger of all the brakes I've tried) even hot at the bottom of the hill the rear comes on strong, but I have to brake differently because of the fade. When a feature comes up I give the lever a pump, pump, pump and let off. For longer pulls you guys have less fade with these BA pads? sintered? finger a little sore as I type this

mtbr member
    Pump pump pump? To get back the bite or the pressure point?

mtbr member
    Quicker pulls on the lever and modulate.. As opposed to holding the brake on for extended time.

The bite power each time the pads start to touch the rotor never seems to go away, even after they're hot..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Pretty sure those brakes are not good. I don't think its the pads . . . I think its the brake system.
    This Ashima PCB system works differently - it doesn't 'lock up' - It doesn't stop the wheel(s). I think that there is an upgrade for them that Ashima provides for free...you should look into it.