mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Screwed up my bleed on a Juicy 3 - will this be expensive?

I got my new '09 Cannondale f4 2 days ago and after the first ride the brakes (Juicy 3's) felt spongy and the front felt weak.

I figured they had not had a good bleed at the factory. I considerd taking them back to the LBS where I got the bike but decided I needed to know how to bleed the brakes so purchased Avids kit. ( I have never bled before)

First issue was none of the pad blocks fitted in the space left when I removed the pads. I got one to just about fit (although not very well)

First bleed done I rode the bike and didn't think it had worked very well so went for a second bleed.

As I was bleeding the lever loads of air rushed in as the dot fluid flowed out of the caliper!

The right side piston had shifted all the way over into the pad space when I removed the piston spacer.

I'm going back to the LBS tomorrow to get it sorted.

1) Do you think I can claim my 'free service' to get it fixed?
    2) Is it going to be expensive?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mattbibbings; 03-12-2009 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    HUUmmm............hopefully your shop guys are kind and understanding. Dunno what they will say/do. The Avid website has a good instructuiion on maintaining and bleeding the brakes check that out before you do the next one. I got Juicy 7 and they bleed can't be done without the screw-in adapters. They were simple to bleed for me but I've done a few other brands to include motorcycles and cars. I found it bled better to "push" the fluid with the syringe from the caliper to the master cyclinder. Good luck with all that. Take your LBS some of their favorite beverages and/or pizza, or cookies or whatever as a "peace" offering to having screwed up your brakes yourself. Hang around and watch them do it and ask questions. Asking questions while watching them work on stuf is how I learned a lot. Good luck!!
    If you lived close by I'd say bring it over and I'll show you. Someone showed me years ago and I nees ot "pass it on".
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's an SRAM video on how to bleed your brake

You can push the caliper back into place using a butter knife. I placed an old brake pad over the caliper and pressed it back in. You don't have to place anything over the caliper but something that covers the whole caliper would be best. Not sure what pad blocks you're using but you can stick anything in there to prevent the calipers/pads compressing. I used some tile spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    LBS fixed it. Brake not cooked. BIG sigh of relief!

mtbr member
    i cant imagine anything being cooked by that except pads