mtbr member

School me in cutting brake hose

Hi everyone. I have a set of Juicy 3s that I've moved to my son's bike. His frame is smaller than mine. I need to shorten his rear-brake hose. What tools and parts should I buy to get that job done right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get an Avid bleed kit. It comes with all the parts you need to shorten the hose and bleed the system.

Here is the online "Hose Length Adjustment & Bleed Guide".

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

cutting brake lines

You will need a juicy brake bleed kit.........Go to youtube and search avid brake bleeding....there are numerous videos on there that show u exactly what to do....

Meh.
    As said, you'll need the bleed kit. It will come with the necessary fittings. And you can cut the line with a very sharp razor blade.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, for the help and the links. I am going to try and read through everything this evening. Was tied up yesterday evening with an ambulance transport.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Reading through the manual is more complicated then doing the job.

It goes something like...remove hose from lever end, cut hose, slide new compression fitting on hose, insert new barb, attach hose to lever body and bleed.

mtbr member
    I have a bleed-kit around here somewhere. Bought it over the winter. Have never opened it. If it has spare fittings, then it sounds like I'm good to go. I just need to carve out the time to do the work.