Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Saints or XT for a Clyde?

Hey all,

Current setup: running Avid 5 brakes with 180/160 rotors. Not enough stopping power. Have Hopes 185/160 on my other bike with less stopping power, so please no Hope recommendations as although they modulate better than the Avids, they don't have near the gripping power. Both systems have been adjusted and ergonomically placed for one finger braking power on both bikes.

Want: one finger braking with minimal effort required on the lever pull.

Rider: 255lbs, XC predominately, notices that brakes are not powerful enough on XC decents. Recently scored rear Avid rotor on downhill section.

Bike that requires the upgrade: 2012 Anthem X29er 1, size XL.

Question: would the newer XT's be sufficient or should I go with Saint's? Would the Saint's have enough modulation or would they be too on/off for XC riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm 165 all geared up and have moved from Hope M4s to the 2013 Saints.

I enjoy the modulation and the power on tap. A true one finger brake. I thought I'd miss the modulation of my Hopes, but these are just as good. I'm on 180/160 rotors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    go with the xts. they have plenty enough of power.

mtbr member
    Go with XT and 203/180 rotors. Cheaper and better modulation.

Helmetless Crasher
    Go saint.

I weigh 210, and the XT's are about perfect for me.

I think folks underestimate the importance of weight.

A 150 lb guy will claim XT's will easily toss him over the bars. They are great, but don't do THAT for my 210 lbs.

It's the equivalent of putting the same brakes on a Mini Cooper and a BMW M5 - you'll get very different results.

You want maximum brake power for a 255 lb guy, go w/ maximum brake components.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. All the guys around here praise XT's, but I outweigh them by at least 50lbs. That extra mass really comes into place when I need some good braking power on faster decents.

Certified Clyde
    XT or the newer and cheaper SLX. I've been anywhere from 230-300, and I use a mix of both without issue.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    ^ what rotor sizes were you running?

Certified Clyde
    I use 180s. I don't live in super mountainous country. I'd probably consider bigger if I did, but 180's will lock the wheel sif I don't use some touch.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    frankenstein a set, get some saints for the front wheel , and xt or whatever 2 piston in the back. def get the 8" rotor for the front!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Go saint.

I weigh 210, and the XT's are about perfect for me.

I think folks underestimate the importance of weight.

A 150 lb guy will claim XT's will easily toss him over the bars. They are great, but don't do THAT for my 210 lbs.

It's the equivalent of putting the same brakes on a Mini Cooper and a BMW M5 - you'll get very different results.

You want maximum brake power for a 255 lb guy, go w/ maximum brake components.
    Im 100kg and this guy nailed it.
    You will want a larger front rotor also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm no lightweight. XT's 180/180/ excellent

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm in almost the same situation. Need replacing my original hydraulics (2000 formulas, experienced riders who rode my bike said they were comparable to Hayes of the time).

Here's the thing, most riders are <200lbs and most equipment is made for that.
    I'm around 230 (240 back then) and went through about 5 rims before finally upgrading to the strongest DH I could find and I don't regret it at all. Even though I'm no free rider I throw my bike around quite aggressively and

I don't know, things may have changed since back then.

So I'm looking at Hopes and Shimano

I always wanted a set of Hopes, and probably would get the Tech M4s or even the V2 with solid rotor (if what I read was correct, the v2's weigh less then the m4s w/braided lines ... need to confirm this).

However the local shop is warning me that with Hope's I'll have to wait longer if I ever need a part.
    I'm sure the shimano's are all great as well.

I know just about anything new will do the job and probably be an upgrade, but my experiance with the DH rims leads me to think that aiming for heavire "all mountain" or entry DH brakes wouldn't be a bad idea, and if the weight isn't a huge difference it'd be worth it.

Basically I'm looking for maximum "control"

thoughts?

mtbr member
    ^ don't go for the Hope Techs, as that's what I have (see first post). I can't comment on the M4s, should be stronger with a 4 piston setup, but $$$$.

I'm still on the fence with XT/Saints.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You have the Tech X2 or minis then? All reviewers seem to say the V2s have the most power of anything except the Saints (or maybe the Formula The One), with the m4s not much farther behind.

Based only on reading reviews the XT and the Saints are in totally different classes. XT is probably targeted at a similar segment as the ones you have now.

My direct experiance is limited though.

mtbr member
    I have the X2s. 180/160 (or 185, whatever it is that Hope runs). Tech levers, braided lines, sintered pads. Bling for sure, but not as powerful as my Avids and my Avids leave something to be desired as well. Lots of guys around me run XTs and rave about them, but again, they're all quite a bit smaller than I am and I'm not sure that thier experiences will apply in my case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You like avid feel. Go with Max size rotors to see if enuff braking power. That not enuff, the change brakes.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    New thought to follow Bob's suggestion. If I try a 203mm front rotor, do I need a post mount adaptor or IS adaptor? Thought is to move my front rotor to the rear and update the front rotor to the biggest size. I guess that'd mean that I need a new brake adaptor for th rear too, but I'm confused as to what post mount and IS mounting is.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coder View Post
    I'm in almost the same situation. Need replacing my original hydraulics (2000 formulas, experienced riders who rode my bike said they were comparable to Hayes of the time).

Here's the thing, most riders are <200lbs and most equipment is made for that.
    I'm around 230 (240 back then) and went through about 5 rims before finally upgrading to the strongest DH I could find and I don't regret it at all. Even though I'm no free rider I throw my bike around quite aggressively and

I don't know, things may have changed since back then.

So I'm looking at Hopes and Shimano

I always wanted a set of Hopes, and probably would get the Tech M4s or even the V2 with solid rotor (if what I read was correct, the v2's weigh less then the m4s w/braided lines ... need to confirm this).

However the local shop is warning me that with Hope's I'll have to wait longer if I ever need a part.
    I'm sure the shimano's are all great as well.

I know just about anything new will do the job and probably be an upgrade, but my experiance with the DH rims leads me to think that aiming for heavire "all mountain" or entry DH brakes wouldn't be a bad idea, and if the weight isn't a huge difference it'd be worth it.

Basically I'm looking for maximum "control"

thoughts?
    if you want to go with hopes you may wait a abit until the new v4 comes out. they sure be fanstastic brakes!

mtbr member
    post mount, the bolts thread "into" the fork and 74mm bolt centers. IS, the bolts are sideways and 51mm hole centers.

so it depends on what style you have now. if 74mm post, then get a bracket that is for a 203. if IS, i dont know. sure there is one though.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Update - have ordered a 203mm Avid front rotor and adaptor, will swap my front to my rear, and I'll post back with an update. New wheelset coming in at end of month, so I won't have a ride report until first week of October. I'll post my findings in this thread. Thanks for everybody's advice thus far!

mtbr member
    Subscribing to this to see what the results are. I'm having similar issues, and giving serious consideration to a 4 piston brake, but obviously a rotor upgrade would be cheaper if that works.

mtbr member
    Update - rotors and adaptors and new wheels are in. Should have time to build/swap over the weekend with hopefully a ride (it's raining right now and rain + frost + roots = pucker time)

mtbr member
    Why Saint? Why not try the new Zee? By all accounts, pretty much the same brake.

As for Hope's, I do not rate the X2 that highly. I currently have a 183mm M4 on the front and a 160mm X2 on the back. Seems to work, but thinking of going to the EVO M4 front and back. Or even getting some EVO V2s on closeout (as they are being replaced by the V4).

mtbr member
    Zee is an option that I'm considering, but I'm going to wait and see how the larger rotor setup works. I agree on the X2 rating as far as power is concerned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast