mtbr member
    Dec 2006

saints vs. hope tech v2's

Narrowed it down to these 2 to replace my elixir cr's (leaky seals, have to bleed'em all the time, love the way they feel when they work but time to try something else). Has anyone used both these brakes, and which do you prefer? I know i cant go wrong with either, which makes the decision tougher. Is one easier to bleed than the other? I like the fact that saints use nontoxic mineral oil... any input would be appreciated. thanks.

T.W.O.
    For looks definitely Hope. For power definitely Saint. Both are very easy to bleed, different but both easy. Saint is heavier though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks. Will both of these brake calipers work with my Avid (203 mm)rotors? i've gathered that the Saints will but I dunno about the hopes.

T.W.O.
    Avid rotors can be noisy, but it should work just fine for both brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    how adjustable are the saint levers? my friend who runs xt brakes told me the pad contact adjust screw doesnt do anything... I like the brake to engage with the lever kinda far out from the bar, is that possible with saints?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    Thanks. Will both of these brake calipers work with my Avid (203 mm)rotors? i've gathered that the Saints will but I dunno about the hopes.
    Hope V2s will NOT work with Avid rotors. The brake track on the Hope is huge. Hopes modulate great and have rediculous power.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks! I thought the hope rotors looked bigger... so if i go with the hopes, I'll have to get 4 new rotors (2 wheelsets). hmmn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Avid rotors can be noisy, but it should work just fine for both brakes.
    NO,Avid rotors will not work with V2 calipers....they're both great brakes,go for the hopes as you only live once

mtbr member
    I own the new Saints, and a set of Hope M4s, so I can comment on some similarities.

The Hopes have better modulation for sure. Saints are touchy at first, but once you get used to them, I personally don't have a problem with modulation.

If you were going to go with Hopes, you can't use any standard rotor, while you can with Saints.

I thought about selling the Saints and pick up a set of V2s, and all the research I've done says the Saints have more power. This is also proven by the brake force test by BikeRadar.

I'm sticking with my Saints on my Nomad, but I run two sets of M4s on my all mountain and XC race bike.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Im gonna go with the saints, so I can use my old rotors on the dh wheels im building (got new xt rotors for my lighter wheels). Also so when I (maybe) build up a dh frame soon, I can put my avid brakes on my Rune, saints on the dh and still alternate wheels if necessary without changing rotors. Its funny since I started this thread I rebled the elixirs and they seem ok now, but i doubt that will last. My LBS let me pedal a pivot phoenix with saints around the parking lot; I'm sold. (on the brakes the phoenix is out of my price range haha, im gonna find a deal on a used dh frame).

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    NO,Avid rotors will not work with V2 calipers....they're both great brakes,go for the hopes as you only live once
    Thanks, noted, why?

I occasionally switch wheel on my bikes and I've tried the Mono mini with avid before with no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Thanks, noted, why?

I occasionally switch wheel on my bikes and I've tried the Mono mini with avid before with no problems.
    V2s run much wider brake track than anything else out there. You can use "regular" rotors with any other Hope calipers.

RIP Friendgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    how adjustable are the saint levers? my friend who runs xt brakes told me the pad contact adjust screw doesnt do anything... I like the brake to engage with the lever kinda far out from the bar, is that possible with saints?
    The pad contact (free stroke) screw does work, but it's subtle in it's action.

If you like to brake really far out from the bar, it's possible by adj the reach knob + moving the pads in (closer to rotor) a bit by squeezing the lever w/wheel out. You may experience more rotor scrub this way though.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    whenh i tested them at the bike shop yesterday, I could tell I could get it where i want it just by using the reach adjust.