mtbr member

Saint's stock pads?

I thought I read someplace before buying some Saints that the stock pads in them are not so great. I am currently running some Saints with new T-76 alu carrier 180mm rotors on my 34lb. AM rig (sees everything from steep XC to light DH/FR at times) and the front brakes especially, don't feel as powerful or as stiff at the lever as I was hoping. I have had the brake bled three times now and still doesn't feel as strong as I would like. I was hoping to not have to go up a rotor size and did most of my riding on SLX brakes w/7" rotors prior and was fine most of the time, just some fade with longer and steep descents that made me want to try the Saints. Will changing out the pads to a different material (sintered or organic) or different brand help with the feel at the lever if the brake was bled adequately or don't waste my time and just up the rotor size and weight a bit to an 8"?
    Thanks,
    JG
    Ride On!

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have new saints (4piston M810 I think??) and they are very grippy with stock pads. I believe the stock pads are sintered steel as well so those will grab better than organics or resin. Are you sure your pads arent contaminated?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by og1
    Are you sure your pads arent contaminated?
    Thanks, that's good to now about the stock pads, I thought they would be pretty grippy as well. The pads could very well be contaminated like you said, especially since the mechanic bleeding them didn't have a proper Shimano bleed kit and knows Avid brakes the best. As a matter of fact, he contaminated a pair of my pads on my SLX brakes and replaced them with some new ones free of charge. He has done such great work on my fork with many free upgrades and mod's that I have him work on my brakes as well, should have someone else look at them. What's the best way to tell they are contaminated? Thanks again, much appreciated!
    Ride On!

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hard to tell from just looking at them. poor performance when you have isolated all other causes is a good indicator or possible pad contamination though. i picked up a set of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_724wt_1141

i read some good reviews about them on here. havent used them yet so i cant report but the price is right