banned
    Sep 2012

Saint M810s - Overkill ?

Thinking of changing out my old Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbons and came across a good deal on the 2nd generation Shimano Saint M810s at a decent price. I'm currently running 203/185 rotors.

Considering I'm mostly riding trail and AM, would the 810s be overkill for what I'm doing?

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As the saying goes, you never know what's enough until you know what's too much. Worst case you end up with too much power which is easily solved by downsizing the rotors.

Personally I think you'll be fine, I'm currently running a borrowed set of M810 Saints on the front (180mm rotor) to compare it to my old M755 4-pot XTs, bike is a hardtail that's used for trail riding. There's definitely more power and it took a bit of getting used to, but I wouldn't say it's too much. Works just fine, same as my old XTs, but with a different feel on the lever and it takes a lighter touch. I have to give the brakes back but next year, I plan to try a set of M820 Saints.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Thinking of changing out my old Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbons and came across a good deal on the 2nd generation Shimano Saint M810s at a decent price. I'm currently running 203/185 rotors.

Considering I'm mostly riding trail and AM, would the 810s be overkill for what I'm doing?

-S
    How good a deal?

If cheaper than the Zee, then great deal, if not, it's not really a good deal.
    The Zee is easily upgraded to the same performance as the Saint 820 (see my "Shimano Zent" thread).

Anyhow, they are both a nice trail brake. You can't have too much power, and the modulation is great on the 820/Zee, I don't know about the 810.

Magura

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree with Magura. More power is not a bad thing, and if it's too much, as aerius said, a smaller rotor will fix it. No bad advice in this thread so far

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    How good a deal?

If cheaper than the Zee, then great deal, if not, it's not really a good deal.
    The Zee is easily upgraded to the same performance as the Saint 820 (see my "Shimano Zent" thread).

Anyhow, they are both a nice trail brake. You can't have too much power, and the modulation is great on the 820/Zee, I don't know about the 810.

Magura
    Yes, cheaper than Zee's (new).

I'm going to move ahead with them then.

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You can get a good deal on the saints on blueskycycling.com