Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Northeastern Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    763

    Safe fluids for use w/ shimano brake systems

    Hello all,
    I am looking for a safe / affordable alternative to the shimano mineral oil that they use w/ their systems. Any help would be much appreciated.

    Is regular mineral oil the same as the shimano mineral oil used in their systems? NO, it most certainly is not, so please don't recommend this.

    Tech Doc states:
    [SIZE=1]"[/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]Use only genuine Shimano mineral oil. If other types of oil are used, it may cause problems with brake operation, and cause the system to be unuseable."

    So far I have found Pentosin CHF 7.1 as an alternative. You get a liter for the same price as 50ml of the shimano stuff and this has been said to improve the performance of the shimano brake systems.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by zach.scofield; 05-18-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    877
    You already found one, why do you need another?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    287
    Pentosin CHF 7.1

    You need no other.

  4. #4
    Northeastern Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    You already found one, why do you need another?
    I'm trying to verify the validity of the statement I read about the Pentosin before I order some.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by zach.scofield
    I'm trying to verify the validity of the statement I read about the Pentosin before I order some.
    Well I have it (pentosin) in a set. But then I ran drugstore mineral oil in a set of XT brakes for over a year with no problems at all. The brakes still work fine 4 years on, but now have shimano fluid in them (as I got some cheap at one point).

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Pentosin will work fine. Just use 7.1. I'm out on 11s. I won't say whether it will work or not. In the experience I have with Audis, we had to be careful about the cross compatibility between 7.1 and 11s systems. Apparently, there was a difference.

    Especially funny are the people that try to defend their use of drugstore mineral oil every chance they get. They also don't realize that some people don't want to be so reckless with safety equipment and using the right stuff isn't that expensive. They just don't get some people want to use the right stuff.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    287
    An interesting experiment would be to take two identical DH bikes to the top of a mountain, except one has drug store mineral oil and the other Pentosin. See which the "Drug store oil works great, dont buy the jargon" guys pick.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Pentosin will work fine. Just use 7.1. I'm out on 11s. I won't say whether it will work or not. In the experience I have with Audis, we had to be careful about the cross compatibility between 7.1 and 11s systems. Apparently, there was a difference.

    Especially funny are the people that try to defend their use of drugstore mineral oil every chance they get. They also don't realize that some people don't want to be so reckless with safety equipment and using the right stuff isn't that expensive. They just don't get some people want to use the right stuff.

    Actually the funnier part is you cannot comprehend the written english language. No one defended using mineral oil. First I asked him why he seemed to ask for alternatives to shimano while offering Pentosin 7.1, when that is the answer to the question he asked. Then when he asked if Pentosin was safe I stated I used it without ill effect. I further stated that I used drugstore oil without ill effect. Those are facts, not a defense of Pentosin, or drugstore mineral oil use.

    I personally changed to shimano and pentosin 7.1 because there was a potential safety issue that I was unaware of at the time I used the drugstore mineral oil. I also stated that the brakes no longer were using drugstore oil. I do not advocate using drugstore oil. Rather it is a comment on the durability of the brakes when exposed to a fluid they were not designed for. That is an indication that using a proper mineral oil that happens not to be from shimano be it pentosin, magura blood, or whatever other options there might be is unlikely to make the brakes self destruct.

    Have you ever used drugstore mineral oil? If you have and it wrecked your brakes feel free to share some useful information instead of just getting your panties in a bunch over your imaginary nemesis that you find in many threads. It is funny how you have some sort of superiority complex about the use of different brake fluids and tend to whip out the fact that you have a chemistry degree. Perhaps a literature degree would have helped you more in this case.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    Actually the funnier part is you cannot comprehend the written english language. No one defended using mineral oil. First I asked him why he seemed to ask for alternatives to shimano while offering Pentosin 7.1, when that is the answer to the question he asked. Then when he asked if Pentosin was safe I stated I used it without ill effect. I further stated that I used drugstore oil without ill effect. Those are facts, not a defense of Pentosin, or drugstore mineral oil use.

    I personally changed to shimano and pentosin 7.1 because there was a potential safety issue that I was unaware of at the time I used the drugstore mineral oil. I also stated that the brakes no longer were using drugstore oil. I do not advocate using drugstore oil. Rather it is a comment on the durability of the brakes when exposed to a fluid they were not designed for. That is an indication that using a proper mineral oil that happens not to be from shimano be it pentosin, magura blood, or whatever other options there might be is unlikely to make the brakes self destruct.

    Have you ever used drugstore mineral oil? If you have and it wrecked your brakes feel free to share some useful information instead of just getting your panties in a bunch over your imaginary nemesis that you find in many threads. It is funny how you have some sort of superiority complex about the use of different brake fluids and tend to whip out the fact that you have a chemistry degree. Perhaps a literature degree would have helped you more in this case.
    I won't try drugstore mineral oil because I'm simply not as daring as you, and since brakes for bikes aren't exactly cheap, I'd rather not take the chance. Additionally, my safety is something I actually care about, so I tend to be pretty conservative with brakes. I'm also under the assumption the OP wanted recommendations on proper hydraulic fluid to use in his brakes.

    Then there was the guy I knew that used water in his Shimano brakes because he wanted to show people they worked just fine.

    btw- I didn't mention here my Chemistry degree. If you remember that I've said it in the past, then that means I have a fan club and I thank you for reading my posts and I especially thank myself for being so memorable.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    287
    No one was talking about mineral oil defenders in this thread, we were using this thread to talk about mineral oil defenders from other threads.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    877
    *head explodes*

    Seriously though I would like it if there were more specific info about the fluids in general such as weights for shimano. It seems all info basically gets back to Peter Verdone and I don't know him from Adam as they say.

    For example what is the weight of pentosin CHF 7.1 anyway? On the bottle it doesn't say, it just says the temperature range which is -40-110C (not really that high). It hasn't been a problem and being used in engine bays you would think the temperature range is actually higher on the top end, but it doesn't say so. It seems almost conventional wisdom as opposed to anyone actually knowing. And as long as no one has problems (which I haven't heard of any) that is good enough, but unsatisfactory.

  12. #12
    ♥ ς╥33
    Reputation: longcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    488
    I guess its 7 viscosity, I use texaco rando 10 hydraulic oil in mine because we had that at work and it was free. Its a 10 viscosity oil, the oil used in brakes is hydraulic mineral oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If you remember that I've said it in the past, then that means I have a fan club and I thank you for reading my posts and I especially thank myself for being so memorable.
    Wow! I so envy you, you internet celebrity.
    Nobody cares...........

  14. #14
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    I have seen and worked on brakes bled with drug store mineral oil. They did fail.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zuuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    392
    Where can you buy the Pentosin fluid?

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    European auto parts suppliers. Look up "Audi parts" and you will also get e-tailers part of the WAW system, kind of like QBP's system. It also gets relabeled as FeBi Bilstein fluid for Mercedes.

  17. #17
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Sghost
    An interesting experiment would be to take two identical DH bikes to the top of a mountain, except one has drug store mineral oil and the other Pentosin. See which the "Drug store oil works great, dont buy the jargon" guys pick.

    I'll take the Keg of beer, lawn chair, and popcorn!!

  18. #18
    Northeastern Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    I'll take the Keg of beer, lawn chair, and popcorn!!
    +1,
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

  19. #19
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •