mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Running disc rims with v-brakes

I've got xm 117 mavic disc rims from upgrading the wheels of the FS. The HT has got
    v-brakes and crappy wheels. Can I use the disc rims with the HT disc brakes.
    The sticker on the rim says not to do that. Why?
    What can possibly happen, besides maybe some loss of brake power?

brake jack

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack
    I've got xm 117 mavic disc rims from upgrading the wheels of the FS. The HT has got

brake jack
    Your question is not entirely clear. You say the HT has v's, then discs.

If the HT has V's, and you have disc specific rims, it won't work. Look at the rims that were uses with the v-brakes. They have a flat surface for the v-brakes to contact. If your rims are disc specific they will not have that braking surface.

What can happen? Well first of all you will have very little braking power. Second, the rim is not designed to have grimy pads wearing it down. You will likely make the rim fail if you ride it like that for long.

I would not do it. What you will have is a wheel even crappier than the crappy ones you are replacing.

Meh.
    Disc specific rims don't have sidewalls designed for braking. They won't brake well, you'll wear through them, and you'll be affecting the integrity of the rim.

MTBR Demi-God
    The side wall rims of the disc wheelset is not strong enough to take the pressure exerted by the Vbrakes. The rims will get pinched fairly easily, and may fail if the safety factor designed in them is exceeded.

I would NOT recommend running Vbrakes on a "disc only" wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by brake jack

brake jack

Does your HT have disc brakes or V brakes? If it has V brakes, you can't use a disc-only rim because the V brakes will eff-up the rims.