Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Run a mech disk brake off XT dual levers?

963 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Anti-Gravity 
#1 ·
Hi. I am running XT V-brakes with the new XT dual control levers, would it be possible to install a disc brake and continue using the dual control brake levers? Are there any differences between the way the cables pull the v-brake and the mechanical brake (for example an avid)? I only ask because Shimano is infamous for not following int standards.

#2 ·
Any V-brake or mech disc will work

mtnkiwi said:
Hi. I am running XT V-brakes with the new XT dual control levers, would it be possible to install a disc brake and continue using the dual control brake levers? Are there any differences between the way the cables pull the v-brake and the mechanical brake (for example an avid)? I only ask because Shimano is infamous for not following int standards.
The shimano_ levers are v-brake compatible meaning they will work with any of the mechanical disc brake systems on the market. However, the choice is a no-brainer, Avid is the best way to go. :D
-Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.