Clueless genius
    Feb 2011

Roundragon vs. Clean Sweep G2 @ 185mm

Hello.

I'm thinking of upping the size of my front rotor on my hard-tail to 185mm, and I was wondering if there is a difference in braking performance between the Roundragon and clean sweep G2 rotors at that size. My calipers are Avid BB5's.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yes there is. The two biggest performance pluses of the G2 is the ability of the rotor to clear mud, and it's better resistance to heat build up and resulting heat fade. The position and shape of the cross drilled slots in the braking surface are such that they pull mud and debris down and away from the caliper as the rotor passes through the pads. The additional cross drilling of the rotor also makes for better heat dissipation so the rotor stays cooler. It takes a bit longer to build up heat and cause fade. Braking performance is about the same as far as stopping power goes with both rotors properly broken in. The G2s do have better initial bite characteristics though, and they do give a little bit more oomph. Just don't expect a night and day difference. One other plus is the G2s are lighter than the Roundagons. One thing to keep in mind though, the G2s are significantly less tolerant of caliper misalignment. Minor misalignment that wouldn't be a problem with Roundagons will often result in poor performance and anything from rotor buzz to squealing from a G2 rotor.

Your call, the G2s do preform better in most respects than the Roundagon. But the Roundagons are less expensive in most cases, and they do perform reasonably well. It's worth the upgrade if you are looking for a bit better performance from your brakes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Thank you very much for your help. I knew the G2's were lighter and a tad more pricey, but I had no idea about the better mud-shedding, heat dissipation, and the touchyness for pad alignment.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Why would the roundagon not have significantly more braking force? The surface area the pads will see is much greater.

I have been contemplating which to order for a larger rotor as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see tons of posts about how the G2 or G3 rotors are better than the Roundagons. But nobody ever says why, or if they do it mostly sounds like marketing blurbs and no real world experience. I bought into this and changed my Roundagons out for something else.

However, recently... considering that Jeff Jones uses Roundagons, I put them back on my bike. I'm very happy with them. I'm running 203 F and 185 R. They may not be the lightest rotors, but BB7's are light to begin with. I like the way they feel, and the are a lot quieter then the G3 and Alligator serrated ones I have used.

mtbr member
    I think the more solid surface of the roundagon does help with its stopping power. But they are heavier, and uglier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Would sintered pads not have a larger effect on stopping then two different rotors of the same size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    but BB7's are light to begin with
    Not so light! Wish they would make an Ultimate version!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeycoates View Post
    Would sintered pads not have a larger effect on stopping then two different rotors of the same size?
    Maybe, but most brakes come with sintered pads anyway, so that's a given. Once you've got that, you can increase brake power (if necessary), by increasing rotor size, and maybe, to a much lesser extent, rotor type.
    I would think most people don't switch to a different rotor of the same size, unless its to save some weight, or for looks.