Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which rotors are you using with your XT's??

I'm building a new Jet9 and I've targeted the XT's as my brakes of choice. After doing some research on this forum, I'm noticing a trend of people not using the Ice-Tech rotors. The cost of the Ice-Tech's has been a tough pill to swallow for me, and if there's a cheaper alternative, then I'm all ears. Just curious as to what you guys are using for rotors.

Plays with tools
    You can certainly use the non-ice tech Shimano rotors like I am. I have noticed a drop in power when running Avid rotors on Shimano brake systems.

mtbr member
    I just posted this in another thread:

I bought the XT brakes and rotors the other month. I put the brakes on my Turner and have been running them minus the rotors. The Ashima rotors seem to work fine with the new XT's. I'll keep the Ice Tech's as spares for later. They are heavier and more expensive than the Ashimas that are on there now. My suggestion would be stay with the rotors you have on there now and if you need to upgrade, do it later.

I posted this same question a while back as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i'm using avid HS1 rotors, i like them a lot... 1000+ km on them with the XTs

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    What do you like about this ? Curious as I have these rotors and picking up xt's this week. I currently run another set but use the ice tech rotors with it

Bicycle Addict
    Nice and cheap Ashima Air Rotors.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    What do you like about this ? Curious as I have these rotors and picking up xt's this week. I currently run another set but use the ice tech rotors with it
    They have those tiny holes, which i think are less prone to stuttering/vibrating than large cutouts. It seems logical to me to build a rotor like that. Avid tried several designs in recent years, so i think those rorors are a matured design.

Besides that, my current brake setup works so well, so that might be the reason as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm running the RT76's. These are the same two piece design as the Icetech but use a solid steel braking surface instead of the laminated aluminum. I went with these since they were cheaper and I had concerns about wearing through the steel layer on the Icetech. I used to run the RT51's and didn't like them at all. About 30% of the breaking surface didn't have through holes and would become fouled with dirt/debris. I noticed a moderate increase in braking when I upgraded to the RT76's. I know from a physics standpoint that shouldn't have happened, so ??????

The new RT66 has the same braking surface design as the RT76/Icetech, so I'd look into those if you're looking to save some money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm using the Formula R1 rotors. Light enough, run silent with powerful braking.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Using the RT86 Ice-Techs 180/160 with my XT brakes, and I'm glad I did. Still bedding in but amazing stopping power. I'm just around 175 with gear, so perhaps they're overkill for me.

I think a further $100 for the rotors is a small price to pay considering you'll be sinking at least 3K into a new JET 9 build, but that's just me

Oh...and they look pretty darn good too!

Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

Warrior's Society
    Been Running Avid G3 rotors on mine......haven't really had any problems.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

I <3 dirt
    RT-86 160mm front and rear. They're nice and quiet and work flawlessly.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What pad are you guys running? I've been running avid hsx's with my m785 with metallic pads and can't stop the from squealing.. Just got some new ice tech rt86's and hoping they can quiet things down a bit. The organic pads just didn't last long enough(few rides and were down to the plates)... So I'm hoping to find a way to make the metallic pads quiet..

mtbr member
    I upgraded my M446 to the finned XT's. I had the stock Al rotors that came with the M446's and they were noisy (also said only use resin pads on them). I got the 180/160 RT86's from Blue Sky Cycling shipped to my door for $96. I paid $10 for instalition and WOW what a difference. These rotors are WAY better then the other ones that came on the bike. I am very happy. And after my proper break in there is no more noise from them.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

I <3 dirt
    I'm running whatever finned pads come with the m785's on my rt-86 rotors.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the replies! Gives me a lot to chew on. Finally pulled the trigger on the XT brakes last night, now I gotta make up my mind on the rotors. I'm probably going with the non-IceTech Shimano's or, I might give the Ashima's a shot. I've been doing some research on those and it almost sounds too good to be true. You can find those things on ebay for less than $20. Worth a shot for that price, I guess.

I <3 dirt
    I think the non-icetech or the icetech rotors are the way to go; its just a quiet and strong design. My favorite part of the two piece rotors is that they always seem to be in true probably because the alloy spider is so damn stiff.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm running the m785's and RT-86 180/160 setup. The stopping power is amazing on these things.

Dissolved member
    It would be sad if Shimano's own high end rotors were not working well with their high end calipers. I have been running an M785 caliper with a 180mm Avid Clean Sweep G2 in the front without any problems for a while - no funny noises, no vibrations, good stopping power. I you have a pair of older rotors in your drawer, try them first, they might be just good enough.

mtbr member
    I have Magura Storm SLs. I believe that they are slightly thicker than Shimanos, and stiffen things up a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am just about to replace my sram XO brakes with xtr 988 but want to leave the hs1 rotors on (suffering the pain of ponying up all the cast to buy new brakes to replace my garbage XO brakes). I have a 160/180 setup. If I use the shimano brackets for 160/180 with the hs1 rotors be fine to run with the xtr pad tracking? I hope so as I would like to try ice tech when the hs1 rotors eventually wear but don't want to have to buy new brackets if I do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    I am just about to replace my sram XO brakes with xtr 988 but want to leave the hs1 rotors on (suffering the pain of ponying up all the cast to buy new brakes to replace my garbage XO brakes). I have a 160/180 setup. If I use the shimano brackets for 160/180 with the hs1 rotors be fine to run with the xtr pad tracking? I hope so as I would like to try ice tech when the hs1 rotors eventually wear but don't want to have to buy new brackets if I do.
    I bought the shimano brakets, but found out two things: They are identical to the avid brakets for the same rotor size (160mm rear postmount). And they wont fit for the HS1 200mm rotor, because the shimano brakets are made for their 203mm rotor (front postmount).

I'm running the avid brakets now and could have saved the money for the shimano ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought the shimano brakets, but found out two things: They are identical to the avid brakets for the same rotor size (160mm rear postmount). And they wont fit for the HS1 200mm rotor, because the shimano brakets are made for their 203mm rotor (front postmount).

I'm running the avid brakets now and could have saved the money for the shimano ones.
    Awesome news! I was worried because the XO calipers sit on cone washers so i thought removing the cone washers and sitting the xtr calipers straight on the bracket would leave them too low.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One correction: I run 180mm in the rear. (For 160mm I wouldnt need an adapter)
    I dont quite know why the shimano adapters are the same, because the shimano discs are 185mm afair? Someone correct me, if i'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pretty sure the Shimanonrotors are 160, 180 and 203mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast