Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which rotors with Shimano Zee?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Vuco 
#1 · (Edited)
Just ordered the Shimano Zee brakes to install on my Nomad, where i currently have the Hope Race X2 brakes with Hope floating saw rotors (180F/160R) but those will soon go to the Blur.
Right now i'm undecided about what rotors to get for the Zee's?
My first choice (based more on looks than anything else) are the Hope floating rotors similar to the ones i currently have, but.... i wonder if it's ok to mix the Zee's with the hope rotors or will the Zee's work and perform better with Shimano rotors (ice tech)?
Will it make a difference for the better if i get the Shimano rotors or it's indifferent and the Zee's will perform the same or better with the Hope's?

#4 ·
I weigh around 78kg with equipment on.
I plan on riding it everywhere i currently ride,i.e. mostly single track trails and some light dh sections.

My concern is mainly if the Hope saw floating rotors will work at least as good as the Shimano Ice Tech rotors with the Zee's, or since the Zee's are made by Shimano the Shimano rotors will work better with them?

#6 ·
Had Avid HS1 rotors before, now Shimano SLX rotors with Zee. Same thing. If I had to choose which one was better, I'd say HS1. Lasted longer - 4 pairs of brake pads per rotor, SLX is on it's second pair and by the thickness, looks like it worns a little more. And also like it had a better bite, but that could be subjective as the brakes were new with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.