Shot Down in Flames...

New question here. IS rotors on Centerlock Hubs

Has anyone used the Problem Solvers adapter to convert Sh!mano centerlock hubs to 6-Bolt IS?

I'm curious as to how effective/dependable/sturdy these things are.

This would open up a lot more brake options.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer new Spline compatable rotors

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Has anyone used the Problem Solvers adapter to convert Sh!mano centerlock hubs to 6-Bolt IS?

I'm curious as to how effective/dependable/sturdy these things are.

This would open up a lot more brake options.

We (galfer) are introducing our dedicated, fully compatable rotors at Interbike. The Problem solvers are a great idea and work great from what I've heard but they add weight rather than take it away like ours will.
    Galfer USA

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    I wish you'd leave out the sales pitch on these forums. If you want to advertise use regular magazine/web adverts. As a employee you're obviously biased and thus any product promotion you make on a discussion forum is misleading.

Leave product performance decisions up to the consumer.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

centerlock compatability

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    I wish you'd leave out the sales pitch on these forums. If you want to advertise use regular magazine/web adverts. As a employee you're obviously biased and thus any product promotion you make on a discussion forum is misleading.

I know the guys who make the problem solvers and they do great stuff! I said as much in my last response. As of right now, no one else is making shimano compatable replacement items. Maybe your angst might better be directed at shimano for producing an item who's sole purpose is to prevent compatability with other companies' products. I'm not trying to push Galfer. I'm just letting people know what alternatives they have when it comes to centerloc. Problem solvers is a great solution. Ours is another.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Galfer

I do not think there is any reason to come down on Galfer for posting here-on the contrary I applaud them for making an aftermarket centerlock rotor available as an alternative to Shimano. Posting here and letting us know about it is a service to us.
    Thank You, Galfer!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm going to second that there is no problem with Galfer posting here. One of the great things about these boards is that Manufactures check in and help/get feedback on their products. Galfer is not spamming their products, but has responded to questions when people have asked, and alerted that they have or will have products available in response to the question. Unlike some others who have not been clear who they are, Galfer is being upfront that they are the manufacture.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer appreciates the support!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I'm going to second that there is no problem with Galfer posting here. One of the great things about these boards is that Manufactures check in and help/get feedback on their products. Galfer is not spamming their products, but has responded to questions when people have asked, and alerted that they have or will have products available in response to the question. Unlike some others who have not been clear who they are, Galfer is being upfront that they are the manufacture.
    Thanks for your support guys! About 4 months ago I did a posting on a british message board and the members ripped me a new one! I learned to tone it down a bit and just be a provider of information and answers to existing questions. Glad to hear that I'm not going overboard. Let me know if I can answer any brake questions for you....regardless as to whether they are about Galfer products or not.
    Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo

Galfer is not doing a sales pitch, they were answering a question, and presenting options and opinions.

If they had started a thread "check out these" then that is a completely different matter, but I have not yet witnessed that thread (or it has been deleted)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    Thanks for your support guys! About 4 months ago I did a posting on a british message board and the members ripped me a new one! I learned to tone it down a bit and just be a provider of information and answers to existing questions. Glad to hear that I'm not going overboard. Let me know if I can answer any brake questions for you....regardless as to whether they are about Galfer products or not.
    Happy riding!
    Do you guys have any pics out (I noticed your website is currently under construction), or are you waiting until interbike to release photos? I am interested in seeing what they look like.

TJ

Shot Down in Flames...
    just be a provider of information and answers to existing questions
    Yes, pics and more information would be appreciated.

Your website apparently is "under construction".

Anyone actually use the problem solvers? Do they have a website?

Thx,
    D.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

galfer centerlock pics

[QUOTE=006_007]Do you guys have any pics out (I noticed your website is currently under construction), or are you waiting until interbike to release photos? I am interested in seeing what they look like.

TJ[/QUOTE
    These are preproduction.....and I'm a terrible photographer! let me know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    These are preproduction.....and I'm a terrible photographer! let me know what you think
    I think you are a terrible photographer!

So your adapters are only for the galfer rotors then? Or are you guys going to make a version that will accept "traditional" 6 bolt rotors from hayes/avid/magura etc?

Are the splines different between different shimano hubs (saint VS XTR)? if so are you guys just doing the Saint stuff, or the complete line? I am also surprised Shimano did not do some sort of patent on the splines similar to the way they did on their octalink BB's, or did they learn a lesson on that one?

Either way, those look pretty sharp. Cant wait to see a set first hand. Do not think I will be able to use em though as I am trying to use as little of shimano stuff as possible!

TJ

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I think you are a terrible photographer!

So your adapters are only for the galfer rotors then? Or are you guys going to make a version that will accept "traditional" 6 bolt rotors from hayes/avid/magura etc?

Are the splines different between different shimano hubs (saint VS XTR)? if so are you guys just doing the Saint stuff, or the complete line? I am also surprised Shimano did not do some sort of patent on the splines similar to the way they did on their octalink BB's, or did they learn a lesson on that one?

Either way, those look pretty sharp. Cant wait to see a set first hand. Do not think I will be able to use em though as I am trying to use as little of shimano stuff as possible!

TJ
    These are not designed to be an adapter for standard 6 bolt rotors. It is a integrated system designed around our wave pattern. The initial batch is designed to be compatable with XTR, XT and LX. If all goes well, we will release saint compatable rotors in early spring.
    We took a good look at Shimano's patent before moving forward on these. Spline mount rotors were done by mountain cycles back in the early to mid 1990's. Glad you like the look of them. Sure you can use them. Get a pair of Hugi hubs and go ride. Oh, and they are designed to have a tall enough brake track to run with any brake caliper on the market.
    And since you like my photography so much.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Andy ( from Galfer )

you are doin alright. Keep on posting. No harm done.

As for the rotors do you have a price yet, I want to include them in my initial order, which I am working on ( I promise )

You are an aweful photograher indeed...lol

The slotted screws, which holds the rotor is hopefully replaced with something more elegant and functional ? Geez 8 mm bolts would be nicer even ... lol

I laughed it of on the brits board, those guys tried to make you hell, didnt they ? Not fair really as the question was directly galfer related and who could answer it better than you.
    Especially after all the miss info which was given out before you posted... lol

brakemeister
    ( and yes I do the Formula brakes ...lol )

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Brakemeister
    Hi Andy ( from Galfer )

you are doin alright. Keep on posting. No harm done.

As for the rotors do you have a price yet, I want to include them in my initial order, which I am working on ( I promise )

You are an aweful photograher indeed...lol

The slotted screws, which holds the rotor is hopefully replaced with something more elegant and functional ? Geez 8 mm bolts would be nicer even ... lol

I laughed it of on the brits board, those guys tried to make you hell, didnt they ? Not fair really as the question was directly galfer related and who could answer it better than you.
    Especially after all the miss info which was given out before you posted... lol

brakemeister
    ( and yes I do the Formula brakes ...lol )
    The method of connecting the carrier to the rotor is what we are finalizing at this time. It will probably be riveted in a similar way to how Shimano does it. We are just deciding on the size and type of rivet basedon what is available at this time. I'll e-mail you preliminarypricing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cool Rotors

Thanks for the proto pics. It looks like the central al part could be more elegantly shaped? Maybe the final versions will. Galfer: do you think that there is an advantage to the steel rotor on al carrier vs. standard six bolt in terms of heat dissapation and stiffess/resistance to warping? And will your XTR replacements save weight vs. Shimano centerlock? Once again thanks for the info here.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Quote Originally Posted by barrows
    Thanks for the proto pics. It looks like the central al part could be more elegantly shaped? Maybe the final versions will. Galfer: do you think that there is an advantage to the steel rotor on al carrier vs. standard six bolt in terms of heat dissapation and stiffess/resistance to warping? And will your XTR replacements save weight vs. Shimano centerlock? Once again thanks for the info here.
    That photo is of a prototype and the final version will be a little less bulky in look. There is definitely an advantage when working with a carrier for heat dissappation. Stiffness can be a factor of the design. I've seen carried designs that are very flexy and some that are very stiff. According to our pre production samples, our carriers are a bit heavier than shimano's (but they are stiffer) and our rotors are a bit lighter. Our samples weight overall is about the same weight but when they get into production they will probably be marginally lighter than shimano's. Another photo... this one of the 203mm next to our 255mm (10 inch) outer blade
    Galfer USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    DT swiss and Magura makes an adapter that lets U use a 6bolt rotor on a spline hub without the use of bolts !! So u get all the choices of 6bolt rotor AND the supereasy mounting of the spline system.

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...kedetail&id=31

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How does that work?

How does this adapter work? It looks like the rear piece is just sitting inside the rotor holes with those little tabs and the lockring isn't touching the rotor at all. What if the machining was off a little? The rotor would seem loose all the time wouldn't it?

"El Whatever"
    That photo is of a prototype and the final version will be a little less bulky in look. There is definitely an advantage when working with a carrier for heat dissappation. Stiffness can be a factor of the design. I've seen carried designs that are very flexy and some that are very stiff. According to our pre production samples, our carriers are a bit heavier than shimano's (but they are stiffer) and our rotors are a bit lighter. Our samples weight overall is about the same weight but when they get into production they will probably be marginally lighter than shimano's. Another photo... this one of the 203mm next to our 255mm (10 inch) outer blade
    Galfer USA
    Cool stuff !!! You're one step away from the floating rotor which would make your rotor not only a choice but an upgrade from the Shitmano one.

Keep posting even if you use this space to promote Galfer. This is what makes these boards the best around. First hand user experience and manufacturers/seller sharing this space is great.

Any update regarding the Galfer site and pads catalog??

Keep it up. Galfer and any other manufacturer coming from other fields are welcome.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Those Tabs

Look as if they are gonna shear off . anyone given thiese a test ? last thing you want is sound of one big snap as you haul front brakes down a steep section.

mtbr member

Where can I get info on the Magura ones ?

Any onfo/Pics on magura ones as I cant find them on the site ?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caspar
    DT swiss and Magura makes an adapter that lets U use a 6bolt rotor on a spline hub without the use of bolts !! So u get all the choices of 6bolt rotor AND the supereasy mounting of the spline system.

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...kedetail&id=31

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    Any onfo/Pics on magura ones as I cant find them on the site ?
    thanks

The magura ones look the same ,but i too cant find them at their site.
    Have U tried a search on the brakeboard , or google
    Cheers