lurker
    Jun 2013

Rotors and adaptors for Hope Evo Stealth M4/X2 upgrade

I have run my stock mechanical discs into the ground and am looking for an upgrade. From lurking around a bit I have seen that people often recommend Hope M4 front, X2 rear combination so I am quite set on that, but I have a few questions.

Front (Currently running 180mm):
    What I have been unable to find, is a definite answer as to whether one should use a 183mm or 180mm saw rotor on the front with the M4. I have found talk of the Mono M4, is that the same as the Evo M4? Would I need a different adaptor to run 183mm? I have heard that using 183mm on a 180mm adaptor results in an underutilisation of rotor surface area causing uneven wear, is this true?

Rear (Currently running 160mm):
    I have been unable to find the hope saw rotors specifically for the X2 Evos/M4 Evos, most are labelled "Mini/MM4". Are these compatible with the Evos?

And as far as adaptors are concerned: Both are post on the caliper side at the moment. Does that mean I can keep them as long as I keep the same rotor sizes even though the caliper brands are different? (Shimano -> Hope)

Many thanks for your help, Sam

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would go with hope adapters and rotors. What bike do you have?

Your fork is probably a post mount type, so you need a post to post adapter for 183 rotor.
    Front fork adapter
    Hope Tech 183 Front 74mm to Post Mount Disc Adapter from BikeBling.com

Rotors
    Hope Disc Mono Saw Disc Rotors from BikeBling.com

Does your rear end have an IS or post mount? You might be able to get parts cheaper through Jenson Usa.

human dehumidifier
    If you're buying Hope parts and not in a hurry, Merlin cycles in England is your source

Adapter $10 less Hope Brake Mounts | Hope Disc Brake Spares | Merlin Cycles

Rotors $20 less Hope Floating Rotors | Hope Disc Brake Spares | Merlin Cycles

When I bought my setup they had 10% off in the basket too - woot.

Update - they still do Hope Stealth Tech Evo X2 & M4 Brakes | Hope Disc Brakes | Merlin Cycles
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got the 183 and correct adapter when I ordered the whole magillah. They make a whole slew of adapters....

The 160 in the rear should be a direct fit, was on mine... Love my Hope brakes!

mtbr member
    Ok, so I'm new to this...what adapters do I need? I've always ran BB7's and the kits came complete. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the EVO M4 front with 183mm floating rotor and an EVO X2 rear with 160mm floating rotor. I have no idea what adapter(s) I need. Front and rear are post mount. I guess I need the front 183 post mount adapter. I shouldn't need one for the rear? Any chance the adapters from my BB7's could work?

Honestly wasn't expecting to need to buy adapters. Kinda negates the nice discount at Merlin. Plus new brakes were pretty unexpected so I definitely wasn't counting on this pretty large expense...trying to do this as cheap as I can but get something that I can live with for a long time. Figure if I'm upgrading brakes, might as well do it right.

human dehumidifier
    You're right about the adapters you need, 183 front, and none rear.

The BB7 adapters may work, if the caliper doesn't interfere and it mounts up right. You'd just have to try it unless someone chimes in with direct experience. IIRC Avid uses 185 so with a Hope 183 your caliper will be a mm high on the rotor. I'd just go ahead and buy all new parts (I did), that way there's no fuss or muss and there will be no setbacks or disappointments.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Yeah, probably best. I was hoping someone might know for sure and save me $16. It's a hard pill to swallow but I'm sure the new biker stoppers will be worth it.