Thread: Rotors

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Rotors

I have a good set of juicy threes on my Gary Fisher x-cal, but at 245 lbs, especially when the brakes are wet I get a lot of fade.

Question. Does changing just the rotor help with that?

I can do the avid xo's or the xt's if u guys think thought would help more

Thanks

mtbr member
    Changing size to a larger rotor would help with the fade. What are you currently running?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Juicy 3s should be fine. Just up the rotor size (and of course get a mount for the caliper).
    Maybe a bleed of the brakes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Have 185mm front and160 in rear. Brakes just serviced by my lbs, who I trust 2 weeks ago. This is my first disk system.

If I can go with bigger rotors, feel like the back goes first, would I need a shim or something to get the pads out to the rotor?

Ok I respect The answer from the two of u. 1. What size rotors? 2. Where do I get the adapters?

I use the front A LOT but it seems to hang on

Oh question ..".. Why do the j 3's get such a bad rap?

I can change all brake parts with xt's or m4's if u think that will help more but I am down with rotor change only if possible to help me.

I realize I am a big guy that doesn't just xc
    Last edited by Iceman30; 09-06-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: New info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman30 View Post
    Have 185mm front and160 in rear. Brakes just serviced by my lbs, who I trust 2 weeks ago. This is my first disk system.

If I can go with bigger rotors, feel like the back goes first, would I need a shim or something to get the pads out to the rotor?
    Try a 185mm on the back and see if that makes a difference. You will likely need a new adaptor for the caliper to raise it enough to accept the bigger rotor.
    I use the front A LOT but it seems to hang on
    If increasing the back to 185 still doesn't work for you, try upping the front to 203 (or whatever it is). Should be more than enough.
    Oh question ..".. Why do the j 3's get such a bad rap?
    Avid in general can get bad rap due to their proclivity to squeal.
    I can change all brake parts with xt's or m4's if u think that will help more but I am down with rotor change only if possible to help me.
    What you have should work. Give the larger rotor a go before spending more money you might not have to/want to (however heretical a thing that is to say ).
    I realize I am a big guy that doesn't just xc
    Nothing wrong with that! Plenty of us around

mtbr member
    Hmm, that's a tough one. If you increase the diameter of your rear disc to 185, you will get more braking power but most of your power comes from the front (hence the larger disc on front than the rear). It would help but it's hard to say whether or not it would do the trick for you. I could be wrong but don't think that your fork will take a rotor larger than what you've got (as recommended by Fox).

What pads are you running? Sintered or organic pads? Sintered will give more power and wear your rotor out faster while organic is less but has better modulation as a general rule. New brakes are not cheap so I would suggest changing the rear rotor out like you suggested (with the appropriate adapter as previously brought up) and also changing the pads to sintered. If this doesn't do it for you, it may be time to look at other options.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I could be wrong but don't think that your fork will take a rotor larger than what you've got (as recommended by Fox).
    Good advice - didn't even think of that!
    What pads are you running? Sintered or organic pads? Sintered will give more power and wear your rotor out faster while organic is less but has better modulation as a general rule. New brakes are not cheap so I would suggest changing the rear rotor out like you suggested (with the appropriate adapter as previously brought up) and also changing the pads to sintered. If this doesn't do it for you, it may be time to look at other options.
    Pad selection might also help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    guys, can't thank you enough...have a ride in the a.m. really to pay pure attention, well most of to the brakes, my weak link...
    i may try the pads first, rotor second if needed....i'm sure i am not running Sintered, i could handle the faster rotor wear better than some xtr's or someting like that...lol

i have some serious ankle issues and have been on steroids for a long time and weght gain has been an issue, and with that, so has the brake issues......i will try both of these first, i hope that once i get back to around 200lbs..i know sounds heavy buy played some college football and 200 is about as low as i can get

thanks for the help, will call LBS in am about the pads and rear rotor fit and may do both at once, can't hurt...far better than that tree in the rain Labor day..well close call...too close

mtbr member
    thanks for the help, will call LBS in am about the pads and rear rotor fit and may do both at once, can't hurt...far better than that tree in the rain Labor day..well close call...too close
    Hey, no problem at all. I'm glad that you missed the tree. I wasn't so lucky... I had a dh race on Sunday and on my last practice run I was going around a left turn, my front wheel went out, I went over the bars and landed on my lower back right on a 9 inch tree stump. It hurt worse than I can say, but I raced nonetheless. I'm drugged up for the next few weeks but better brakes wouldn't have helped any (saints with 203mm rotors front and rear). You'd best get these issues worked out so you don't have the same issues I do.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    245 is kinda heavy. Im 165 and Ive only faded my j3s with 185s on an extremely steep and long descent. I narrowed it down to old fluid. Flush the old fluid out. Some mechs will purge air from your brakes, but not really replace the fluid. See if you can buy 5.1 fluid. That can help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Upset

245 kinda heavy. LOL. thanks!!!! Really heavy IMO
    Jk

It may be a lot me, that's why I thee my weight out there. A lot more energy to dissipate my forward

I doubt a lot of 245 lbs guys ride like I do, I am not the beer gut guy out there, but trying to slim to 200. In the mean time will purge fluid to fresh, well LBS may do that, I wanna make sure I have it done right and maybe switch pads until I can get my weight down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am 170 # went from 185/160 to 203/185 with juicy 3's.Best thing in the world for me

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did u just move the front rotor to the back and get new front?

And what did u have to do for the calipers to go out far enough to fit?

I have to check my fox shock someone said 180 max per manual for the fox 29rl on the x-cal

Thanks for any help. Really thanks guys

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would go 203/160 first and new fluid. Also check if the rotors are now glazed. Sandpaper will fix that.

I run 203/160 juicy 7 rear 5 front. No problems for me, but I'm a bomber and try not to use brakes. Which brake do you mainly grab?
    The worst is feeling the highest of highs, but always feeling the lowest of the lows.

It's all a dream...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Did u just move the front rotor to the back and get new front?

And what did u have to do for the calipers to go out far enough to fit?

I have to check my fox shock someone said 180 max per manual for the fox 29rl on the x-cal

Thanks for any help. Really thanks guys
    Fox shows 203 max on f120 w/15mm axle. I moved the front 185 to the rear.Bought new adapters to move the calipers out

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I used to ride mtx so grab front first and use the rear to help steer.

mtbr member
    I just did some checking and think that a 203mm rotor will work for your fork if 185 just isn't enough. Here's the link if you want to check it out yourself: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...9EnglishOM.pdf. It might be a good idea to call Fox to verify. I've called them a bunch and never had a problem with their customer service (some complain about it).
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406 View Post
    I would go 203/160 first...
    I agree with this. I run J3s with 203/160 as well and the front/rear balance feels just right.