Underskilled

Rotor Widths Formula vs Hope?

Hi,

I have a formula the one break, its great but there is too much lever travel before the pad contacts. I have tried a few things, overloading the fluid was not a good move.

The simple one seems to be a fatter rotor, this would also reduce the wobble.

The market standard for a rotor i believe is 1.5mm

I have heard hope ones are fatter, 1.8mm standard, the V2 vented is almost 5mm the standard V2 somewhere in between.

Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions?

Peter

TLL
    mtbr member
    It has come up before, check this post:

Which is part of this thread:

Long story short, Ones are designed with more travel before contact, but you can adjust them to suit your preference using the method Chris outlines. Having run my Megas for a while now, I actually prefer the bite to be closer to the bar. YMMV.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A fatter rotor wouldn't help. The calipers on all hydraulic brakes self adjust the pad resting position.

The Ones have a longish lever travel before they bite initially. This is by design. What you need to ensure is that there is other reason that the pads are being pushed back further than they need to be. This means...

... spot facing the frame
    ... aligning the caliper using feeler gauges
    ... ensuring the rotors have no wobble
    ... cleaning the caliper of brake dust at each pad change to avoid sticky pistons

With these steps the feel of the bite point improves.