Thread: Rotor weights

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Rotor weights

Searching and weight-weenies didn't help.

Any recommendations on light but endurance raceworthy rotors in 6-hole?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lightweight, affordable 160mm 6 bolt rotors will be around the 80g mark each +/- a few gram depending on the manufacturer. Lots of people use the Ashima Ai Rotors although I find the "pulsing" effect on these more than the Hygia lightweight rotors. KCNC also have a similar design. These options will be around $20-25 per rotor. Some people have experienced chewing through a set of pads with these types of aggressively relieved rotors in a single muddy race, so if your endurance event is going to be muddy then some of the options below may be better (if more expensive).

Hope make two piece lightweight rotors (Hope Race X2 rotor) that have more braking surface than the options above. The weight is still around 80g although the cost goes up ($60).

Scrubcomponents Workhorse rotor - 63g but a big pricetag (around $200 a rotor). Some sort of metal matrix. Not sure what braking power is going to be with these. Scrub also make a raceday rotor that is even lighter - 50g in 160mm but more expensive again. You'll really need to post in the weight weenie section to get some real user feedback on these.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Excellent info (and spelling/grammar). Thanks for taking the time and sharing your expertise.

Found this list with weights:
    http://www.dulight.fr/catalog/index.php?cPath=96_51
    Hope looks like a good choice.

And happened to check out Scrubcomponents last week when he emailed me for some parts. Impressive rotors and pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    No worries. Keep us posted on what you end up with and how they go.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Project: to lighten up the wheels for a 110 pound woman who will be racing the 6 day Breck Epic on her Giant Anthem. Lots of climbing.
    http://breckepic.com/race-course.html#pagetop

Either Stan's Alpine/American Classic or their new Podium MMX. Currently running Crossmax.
    Need to lighten the current XTR cassette as well.

Thanks.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Not super light but my storm sl's came in at 92g for 160mm. They have great performance and are relatively cheap. I like them so much better than the ashima's I had that the weight difference has become a non issue.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp