mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rotor Up-sizing?

I was wondering what you need to do to switch from a 160mm rotor to a 185 with Avid BB7's? The brakes are what came on my Redline and having just bought it, I cannot afford to dump a few hundred buck on a set of hydro's. The mechanicals snap back fine and feel good, I just wish I had a lil more brake power (just not quite enough for a 29er). I was thinking a larger rotor up front might take care of this. Do you need to buy a whole new front break unit, or can you get just a rotor and a different mount?

cougarbait
    you just need a 185mm rotor (I recommend alligator wind-cutter/serration), and a 185mm front adapter.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Excellent, thank you!

Do the serrated rotors burn through pads fast? Im sure the rotors dont last as long either, but they are pretty cheap.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by XJcruiser
    Excellent, thank you!

Do the serrated rotors burn through pads fast? Im sure the rotors dont last as long either, but they are pretty cheap.
    some people experience faster than average pad wear (heard nothing on excessive rotor wear though). I have had decent life with my pads, and you can upgrade to EBC gold pads for $25 after your current pads are done.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

is this the bracket?

it seems pretty self explainatory but just to be sure is this the bracket that would be used so you can run the larger disc? i have a fox fork which is post mount...

http://cgi.ebay.com/POST-to-POST-mou...4.c0.m14.l1262

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have sorted this, i just need to get a SM-MA-F180P P. tks anyway